Toyota

Have Toyota Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

My Toyota avalon 03 check engine light will not go off. It…

My Toyota avalon 03...

My Toyota avalon 03 check engine light will not go off

Mechanic's Assistant: Does the light stay on, or does it blink?

It stays on

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Avalon yourself? What have you tried so far?

Had a mechanic changed the timing belt and knock sensors it turned off for a little bit then came back on

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

All i have so far

Answered in 1 minute by:
3/11/2018
EricFromCT
EricFromCT, Toyota Technician

Hi. Welcome to chat! My name is ***** ***** I am currently a factory dealer auto mechanic. I will attempt to assist you with your concern today.

Do you know what code is stored in the computer currently?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
It gave me code for knock sensors got it fixed and light when off for a little and it came back on

I understand but the code now, may or may not be related to the same issue. The knock sensors may have not been the issue. The wiring for them may be the problem. Or perhaps the mechanic left something unplugged and a different code has been set. Can you get the computer scanned to see what is stored?

Customer Satisfaction is my #1 goal!

1. I am a FACTORY DEALER auto mechanic and also answer questions here on Just Answer.

2. When you are pleased or happy with my assistance or efforts to help you, at the top of the screen please rate me by clicking on the stars.

3. Rating does not close the post and you're more than welcome to ask follow up questions.

Thank you for using Just Answer and allowing my to assist you!

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I can get it scanned

If you can do that and come back here and let me know we can continue from there. Also note that even after rating this chat session with the stars above, you can still bookmark this page and come back to continue chatting, etc...

Customer Satisfaction is my #1 goal!

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I will go do that and come back on here . Thank you will be back soon

Ok sounds good.

Customer Satisfaction is my #1 goal!

EricFromCT
EricFromCT, Toyota Technician
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Hello Eric so the code it gave me it was p0174

That is a lean code. Which means something like an air intake tube is not tightened all the way, or a vacuum line is off or even an intake gasket leak. If the intake was off for knock sensor replacement, then the gaskets should have been replaced. Low fuel pressure can be the cause, but since someone was just working on the engine I would suspect that is not the case.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
We did replace the head gasketWould there be any reason why one of the hoses would have electrical tape around it

Probably because it torn open and that was the repair that was made. That very well could be your problem.

Customer Satisfaction is my #1 goal!

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
is it possible to just replace the hoses . If I do get that replaced what else may be the problem?

Yes it is recommended to replace the hose. The other problems it could be are what I listed above. Fuel pressure, vacuum leak, intake gaskets, other broken vacuum lines, air intake clamps not tight.

Customer Satisfaction is my #1 goal!

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Oh okay thank you. I will get the hose replaced and how do look for a leak?

Your welcome. Please note that even after rating this chat session with the stars above it will remain open so you can bookmark this page and come back with future questions and follow ups.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Hello Eric so we changed the hose and it came back on then it told us mass air flow sensor was bad changed that and still on. Any suggestions??

You may have to spray the intake gaskets with brake cleaner or carb cleaner and see if you can hear an rpm change to indicate vacuum is leaking. If you have a scan tool you can also view the short term fuel trim and spray around the engine with the brake cleaner and see if the trim on the scan tool changes indicating a vacuum leak.

EricFromCT
EricFromCT
EricFromCT, Toyota Technician