Toyota

Have Toyota Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

I have a 94 Toyota 4Runner with 232000 miles. 3.0 V6 engine…

I have a 94 Toyota...
I have a 94 Toyota 4Runner with 232000 miles. 3.0 V6 engine and 5-speed manual trans.
VIN is JT3VN39WXR0138307
I was driving the vehicle when it suddenly died and I could not restart it. I towed it home and started to check the basics.
I put a pressure gage on the fuel rail. 45 psi.
I checked the timing. Timing was good while cranking over the engine. The timing belt was replaced about 20K miles ago.
I check the compression in each cylinder. They were all about 120 psi.
The ‘Check Engine Light’ was not on. The code was normal when I shorted terminals TE1-E1.
I then removed the muffler and catalytic converter and checked for plugged or restricted exhaust. Still would not start.
I replaced the spark plugs and the coil. The spark plugs were all black and not the normal light tan color. When I put new spark plugs in and new coil, the vehicle started up immediately and ran for about 1 minute, and then quite. It would not restart.
The Check Engine Light is now on. There were now 4 error codes. They are:
14-Igniter and ignition coil circuit.
24-Intake air temp
31-Air flow meter signal
41-Throttle position sensor.
I checked the air flow meter and resistances. That looked good and within specs.
I checked the Throttle position sensor and replaced it.
I also bought a used ECU and replaced it.
After replacing the ECU the vehicle started up and ran good and I thought the problem was solved when the ECU was replaced. But it ran about 10 minutes, then died again. It would not start and had to tow it back home.
If I let the vehicle sit for 2 or more days, I will start and run for about 30 seconds, then quit. It is my opinion that the engine is getting to much fuel and chokes out. The new sparks plugs are covered with black soot, and damp when I take them out after the engines quits.
I’m out of ideas what to do next. Any suggestions would be really appreciated.
3/12/2018
HDGENE
HDGENE, ASE Master Tech/Toyota Certified

Hello, and thank you for using Just Answer! My name is***** me a few moments to review your question and Ill do my best to assist you.

Hello, so once you cleared these codes and replace these parts, do you have all of these codes? You didnt do anything with the igniter or coil?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
When I cleared the codes and replaced the parts, I do not have any codes come up. I replace the coil, but I did nothing with the igniter.

Ok, check the quality of the spark it should be a good blue spark with the new coil, if the spark is intermittent it could be an igniter issue. That or you are loosing an rpm signal to fire the coil through the igniter, but it should set codes if that is the case.

If you need more help or information please let me know. if I was helpful, please use the 5 stars above to leave a positive rating. The air flow code may have stored when the engine stalled. The intake air temp sensor can be reading the wrong temperature and causing the engine to run too rich.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I've been trying to diagnoise this problem for months now. I don't think it is the coil or igniter because if I let the vehicle sit for 3-4 days, it will immediately start up and run. But it only runs for about 30-60 seconds before it dies out. And it won't restart until I let it sit for 3-4 days. The intake air temp sensor could be the issue. I assume that it is a themistor that changes resistance with the air temp. How do I check it?
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I checked the resistance of the air temp sensor, and it was within spec. Not sure what I can do next. I could replace the igniter, but I'm getting a spark with the induction timing light, so I don't think that will solve the problem. Any suggestions?
Check the engine coolant temperature resistance when cold. If it's reading the wrong temp cold it can run to rich or not start. Keep in mind a sensor can pass a resistance test at one temp but fail at another. This is a primitive diagnostic system to test with codes only
Check quality of spark as mentioned before also.
HDGENE

Thank you!

HDGENE
HDGENE