Toyota

Have Toyota Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

I have a 90 gts 2.2 5 speed and it's popping outta of 5th…

I have a 90...

I have a 90 gts 2.2 5 speed and it's popping outta of 5th gear and I have to hold it in 4th....when I give it a little gas she tries to pop out....now mind you reverse is gone do you think it's the shifting cables

Mechanic's Assistant: Where exactly do you think the noise is coming from? And how long has this been going on?

No noise....been going on for 6 months ...getting worse

Mechanic's Assistant: What year is your MINI?

It's a 90 celica gts

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your MINI yourself? What have you tried so far?

Gonna try

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Na

3/11/2018
Toyota Service
Toyota Service, Toyota Expert

Hello. Welcome to Just Answer. Please allow me to assist you. As I understand the issue, your transmission is dropping out of 5th gear on acceleration and you have no reverse gear. Is this correct?

i have to hold the shifter in 4th or it will pop out

Sadly, you do not have shift cable issues. You have excess endplay in the main and counter shafts in the transmission. When you have excess endplay, the two shafts slide backwards and forwards, more than they should. When this happens, the gears on the main shaft do not line up properly (no reverse). When you accelerate, the shaft movements releases the gear selection because it is sliding away from 4 and 5 driving gears. I would not recommend any type of rebuild, because not only will you need new internal gears and shafts, you will also be needing a new trans case (the case limits the movement of the shafts). If this vehicle was in my shop I would recommend replacement of the trans with a good used unit. Far and away cheaper than rebuilding this trans.

Please confirm you have received my input; the internet is spotty here today. Thanks!

sir...that sounds about right.......gotta get a clutch and new seals and of course a trans.....but lemme ask you this.if I was to put a 2.0 turbo and trans she would bolt right up correct....of course the ecu and a few other things.....what do you think man?

A 2.0 turbo engine and trans would fit, but you are going to have to change the entire engine room wire harness and maybe part of the interior wire harness. This would bolt up to the engine mounts; you would also have to come up with a different exhaust too. I would be hesitant about doing a turbo engine in this car unless you have a complete donor car to get all of the necessary additional parts you will need.

That is correct no prolem...but it can be done the gts is the wide body so alot of the parts will work.....correct

yes, it can be done.

They say the 94 to 99 2.0 had the most power.....lemme ask you this if you add a turbo to a higher compression motor she will blow sky high....correct?.....they tell me 8 to 1....or 8.5 to 1 is bout right...cause that turbo will pump 60 percent more air ....thats alot man?

You are correct. Adding a turbo to a non-turbo motor without proper safety measures will cause severe internal issues and it probably will not run good. The increase in air entering the engine requires a lower compression ration. 8 or 8.5 to 1, or a tiny bit more is the norm for most standard turbo applications. Bolting a turbo onto a Celica engine fill cause it to grenade. You do not want it blowing apart in front of you.

That's the car

Sweet. Thanks for choosing Just Answer. A positive rating for my input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks again!

Toyota Service
Toyota Service, Toyota Expert