Toyota

Have Toyota Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

I have 1999 Toyota Camry le 4 cyl. It will now charge the…

I have 1999 Toyota Camry...
I have 1999 Toyota Camry le 4 cyl.
It will now charge the battery. The alternator passes testing as does the battery. I have the same votage at the alternator as the battery
Answered in 1 minute by:
3/10/2018
roy
roy, import/domestic specialest

hello, my name is ***** ***** I will be glad to assist you. please allow me a couple of minutes to gather some basic info.

Roy

with the engine running, what is the voltage at the battery??

is the alt and brake light on??

Roy

are you there??

let me know if you have any other questions

Roy

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Voltage at battery is 12.4V. Slightly lower at Alternator Both passed testing. Replaced alternator pigtail

is that with the engine running???

Roy

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
incrrasing RPM to 2000 doesnt increase voltage. Increasing load with radio lights and heater slowing decreases voltage available

ok, the alternator is not charging.

is the light on inside the car?

did you check for voltage to the wire at the back of the alternator??

Roy

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Voltage at the atlernator is slightly lower than the battery. No indicator lights are on
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
The tach stopped working at the same time as the alternator stopped charging the battery. I dont know of a connection between the two

I attached a wire diagram for you. there are 3 fuses to check for power.

the connector at the back of the alternator needs to be checked for voltage. the 3 wire connector needs voltage at all wires with key on. disconnect the connector with key on engine off and check the voltage.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
What voltages should each of the pigtail wires be

battery voltage. each wire has a fuse associated with it as indicated in the diagram. if there is no voltage at one of the wires, go to the fuse and verify voltage on both sides of the fuse

Roy

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I have slightly less than battery voltage at the outside wires 14V at center wire

ok, so you have voltage at all 3 wires??

the big wire, does that have voltage??

if it does then the alternator is your issue

Roy

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
That is my first answer but when I removed it and had it tested It passes testing at the parts store

all the controls for the alternator are internal. if you have power at the 3 wire connector and big wire to the battery then the alternator is the only thing left.

Roy

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I thought so but did not want to spend $140 when the testing said it was fine

ok, but you said you replaced it so it should be under warranty

Roy

Please take a moment and rate my service 3 stars or better. that is the only way the site will pay me for my efforts.

Roy

roy
roy, import/domestic specialest
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I havent replaced it Just took it off and had them test it.
Thank you for your help

your welcome

thank you

roy
roy
roy, import/domestic specialest