Toyota

Have Toyota Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

2008 toyota camry 3.5. car come in with excessive temp on…

2008 toyota camry 3.5...

2008 toyota camry 3.5. car come in with excessive temp on bank 2 cat.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Camry yourself? What have you tried so far?

Replaced the cat and all 4 o2 sensors. the old cat was damaged from excessive heat. there is an underlying problem as cat still will glow red.i checked compression, fuel pressure, checked the injectors individually, replaced plugs and swapped coils front to back. i notice the downstream o2 (b2 s2) sensor reads very near zero on obd scan but multimeter at the sensor does show proper voltage. multimeter reading taken at ecu shows voltage also but still near zero on obd scan. tried used computer. same results. car runs great in open loop, when it switches to closed loop it seems to want to dump excessive fuel into front three cylinders.

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you located all of the vehicle's oxygen sensors? Are the wires leading to and from each intact and in good shape?

Checked for o2 signal at the ecu. all signals are present at ecu harness

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

That should be good to start

Answered in 1 hour by:
3/10/2018
Peter Bagley
Peter Bagley, Auto Service Technician

Hello and welcome to just answer, my name is ***** ***** master tech of over 40 years experience here to help. I cannot see or hear your vehicle so I rely on your patience and input to my questions so I can help you better.I have read your notes and have a question before we proceed.

Two things that will heat up the cat either the exhaust is plugged or rich mixture did you check the oxy sensor readings and compare each bank ? If the side that heats up shows lean condition then that is the issue and need to find out why.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Bank 1 seems fine.
Focusing on bank 2, upstream seems to be pegged at 3ish volts. downstream floats 1.5-3ish.
now unplugging the injectors while running on bank2 makes no change on upstream (pegged at 3v),
and downstream floats to zero. i ordered a different upstream sensor (for Monday) to eliminate the possibility I purchased a bad one.
(all four have been replaced already)
i have verified the injectors have pressure and have acceptable spray patterns.
it seems that i am very rich on this bank.

That would be a good start, keep me informed.

Peter Bagley
Peter Bagley, Auto Service Technician
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Replaced the ecm with a used one, reprogrammed the transponder.
Seems i had a bad o2 channel in the computer.
Thanks
Peter Bagley
Peter Bagley
Peter Bagley, Auto Service Technician