Toyota

Have Toyota Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

I have a 2005 Toyota Sequioa, SR5. When drive the vehicle…

I have a 2005...

I have a 2005 Toyota Sequioa, SR5. When drive the vehicle for a good distance on the hwy, it begins to lose acceleration and stops responding as you press the throttle. The vehicle eventually dies , that is the engine stops running and I slowly roll to a stop. I turn the engine off and start it again. It stats accelerating again but after a few miles, the same thing happens all over. Can any good mechanic tell what is going on here? This does not happen when I am driving within the city. Only when I am on the highway and doing 55 MPH and higher.

Mechanic's Assistant: Does the vehicle have a carburetor?

No, fuel injection

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model of your '05 Toyota?

Sequioa

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?

The vehicle is outside the country where the mechanic thinks it has to do with throttle sensor

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

That's it

3/10/2018
Peter Bagley
Peter Bagley, Auto Service Technician

Hello and welcome to just answer, my name is ***** ***** master tech of over 40 years experience here to help. I cannot see or hear your vehicle so I rely on your patience and input to my questions so I can help you better.I have read your notes and have a question before we proceed.

What Country is the vehicle in? Has any one checked for codes stored in the ECU?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
The vehicle is in Nigeria. Nobody has checked for codes stored in the ECU since this problem surfaced. But the check engine light has been on for about 3 years, tried as I did to clear it. I gave up after a while since the car was running with no problems and since there is no required emission test in Nigeria. My mechanic there suggested it is a throttle/accelerator sensor problem. Is there anything like that in those vehicles?

Never heard of that one? Even though the truck is or seems to run ok does not mean it is because it can be running in fail safe mode. Depending on what the fault is the Ecu will take an average reading what that sensor should put out to continue running the vehicle with that. But that also does not take into account there is any additional codes that have recently been added , so instead of guessing as your mechanic seems to be doing I strongly would suggest checking for the codes and give them to me so I can properly help you.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Well, I will try to get someone to take the vehicle to a mechanic to get an OBD scan. My fear is that I may not get it before the 7-day trial period. I was just looking for a second and even a third opinion. I will let you know when and if I get the scan information. Thank you.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Mr. Bagley, I am sorry I cannot provide the code result before Saturday or even Sunday. I was just hoping to get a suggestion or even two or three suggestions of possible causes of the problem. Do you think you can do that for me? Thanks.

No problem as I can give you many areas that would cause your symptoms and this will show you why reading codes will save time and money trying to diagnose complicated systems. [1] starving for fuel caused by; fuel filter starting to plug, defective fuel pump, [2] electrical problems such as; crank and cam sensors acting up when getting warm, throttle body acting up, airflow sensor, igniter circuit acting up, catalytic convertor plugging up, So where would I start? If you intend trying to start to figure what it may be without any codes then what I would suggest is , next time it dies see if you can isolate whether it is a fuel or electrical issue then at least you have some direction to go. When it dies totally either pull a spark plug wire to check for spark or spray some quick start into the intake and see if it tries to fire . If the spark is crisp and blue then probably fuel related, also if it tries to fire and run when spraying quick start it is also fuel problem. But if no spark then is electrical problem. Hope this helps you better. Or I can check back if and when you get any codes.

My goal is to give you the best experience possible! I hope I have earned a 5 star rating! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen before you leave today. If you need more assistance, please use the reply box and let me know. In the process of helping you I will use sources from all different places that I feel fit and to the point that will speed up my help for you. This may include links, videos, shop notes and procedures as well as my own personal experience of over 40 yrs in the trade.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thanks for getting back to me quickly. I don't know if it's possible to pay a little more just to extend the time I can discuss this problem with you. This is the second time I am coming to JustAnswer for solutions in eight or more years. Both times involved my vehicles. It is therefore not advantageous for me to sign up for monthly membership since I rarely use the service. But I am willing to pay for individual incidents as the case arises, if that is possible. So if it is possible to extend this expert diagnosis by paying more money, I will have more time to get the code results for your review. But I must tell you that there may be several codes for you to review since the check engine light has been on for several years, try as I did to make it go away. I wait eagerly for your response. I think my current membership expires on Friday. Thanks Mr. Bagley

I can offer a service to extend our time to further discuss this when you send me the codes if you wish and can re open this as well if needed , so I will send the service to do so , all you have to do is accept it and when you have the codes send them to me so we may continue.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Are you stating, Mr. Bagley, that for $20 you will extend the time I have to get my issue resolved? If that is true, I will like to take that offer when I receive the code result of the OBD scan. At that time, I can come back and reopen service if it is possible.But Mr. Bagley, I spoke with a good friend of mine who spoke to his mechanic brother about my vehicle's problem. My friend's mechanic brother suggested that the problem may be the fuel sensor or the throttle sensor. This is the same thing that my mechanic in Nigeria suggested. But you indicated earlier that you never heard of throttle sensor. So I am confused now as to who is more credible here. Two experienced mechanics suggested the same thing as the possible problem, while you suggested differently. So I would like to be assured that I will be getting top notch advice before I pay the $20. Thanks.

But there we go again guessing as they say could be this could be that, anything is possible but do you want to waist your money on guessing? If I would guess as well and tell you a part to replace and it was the wrong part you would be angry, disappointed and never use us again. I am trying to do this professional as I can from my end which includes doing tests and checking for codes, but if you wish to go for their guessing let me know so I don't waist my time.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I have instructed my guy in Nigeria to take the vehicle for a scan and get me the results. I will contact you here then for the $20 service extension for the interpretation if you are OK with my proposal. I wait for response. Thank you.

I will be looking forward to help you further when you send me any codes you may have.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Will do, Mr. Bagley. I should be getting the scan results by end of business on Monday, March 19.

EXCELLENT THEN WE CAN PROCEED.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I will rate you when this question is closed. I am still waiting for the scan result. Stay well.

Will check on your results when you post them so we can carry on.

Peter Bagley
Peter Bagley, Auto Service Technician
Customer reply replied 19 days ago
Mr. Bagley, I got the scan results about three weeks ago but I couldn't do anything with because of my eye surgery. I have recovered enough vision to continue. Please find the whole readout codes here attached. Please let me know the next step to help me resolve this problem. Apparently I could not attach the file, probably because my time expired. But I am willing to reactivate the conversation. I paid $20 and was able to attach the scan result. I wait for your response.

Ok I looked at your scan results. If all those codes appeared on the scan results, there is no way all those issues are there , what would cause this is either low voltage or a disruption of proper voltage to the ECU or a faulty ECU . In cases like this what we do is cancel the codes, do an AVR test which checks the charging system, battery and starter circuit so you know the voltage is proper and steady. Then do a drive cycle and see if any or what codes return.

As like any computer garbage in garbage out, so if the voltage going to your ECU drops below a certain threshold it does all sorts of weird things and sets multiple codes. So this is why we need to start with doing that test I suggested.

Customer reply replied 19 days ago
you suggest I tell my mechanic in Nigeria to: ***** ***** out the codes. 2. Do an AVR test which checks the charging system, battery and starter circuit. (Please explain the AVR test further). 3. Do a drive cycle and see if any or what codes return. (What is a drive cycle? Drive the vehicle for a while?) When I get these explanations, I will then get back to Nigeria with your instructions. Quick question: Can the state of the ignition coils affect the voltage? I ask because I have been replacing the bad coils with used ones all along. And I mean to go back there this June with new coils.
Customer reply replied 19 days ago
I spoke with the mechanic a few minutes ago and he indicated that he cleared the scan and scanned again, at which time only the "C" codes came up. Does that make any difference?

Yes that puts a new light on things but still would like to do an AVR test, just to eliminate that possibility Could you please get the exact codes that came back so I may go over them and what our next move is.

Customer reply replied 18 days ago
As I stated earlier, the mechanic said that only the "C" codes showed up after clearing the first set of readings. But I will get back in touch with him to see if he can scan again. Please be aware that I have to pay for each scan.

I realize that , that is why it is important to write down the scan results.

Customer reply replied 18 days ago
I will get back to you when get the new scan results.
Customer reply replied 18 days ago
But in the mean time, can you explain the AVR test so I can relay same to the mechanic. I am not sure of what it is called over there.

I'm sure they know but what you could ask them is to do a complete test on the charging, starting and battery systems which includes a battery load test, starter draw , alternator output and diode function. This will eliminate any of that guess work so we can look else where if needed.

Customer reply replied 18 days ago
I hope to talk to him on Monday because they do not work on Sundays. I will get back to you soon as I am able to get more information from the mechanic.

Very well see u then.

Customer reply replied 9 days ago
I spoke with the mechanic over the weekend and he made me understand that they really had a rough time the first time they tried to take my vehicle over to his shop. He said he was 99% sure that I need a fuel pump because the vehicle is not receiving enough fuel supply. It kept cutting off as he drove it to and from his shop. He therefore advised me to buy a fuel pump and bring it along with me when I am going back there. What's your opinion.

Hello again, it is a possibility it is fuel related but to eliminate that idea is to hook up a fuel pressure gauge on the fuel rails and drive it to see if the pressure drops, DON'T GUESS and throw expensive parts at it. If I guessed causing you money you don't need to waist on parts you don't need You would not be happy with me would you? So this is where we are right now. My suggestion is because of those codes , re do a code read, do that AVR test and check fuel pressure and volume and get back to me with the results. Always do tests never guess.

Customer reply replied 8 days ago
I got your drift Mr. Bagley but you have to remember we are talking of a mechanic in a very third world country. They are very experienced but don't have tests equipment. And there lies the problem. I bet you that if had the equipment to run the fuel pressure and volume test, he would have done it already. But all he told me was that he drove the vehicle and he could tell me for sure that the fuel pump is not supplying adequately. I will ask my son in Lagos to check if there is an auto dealer that can do the diagnostics for a fee and just give me the results. Otherwise, I may just have to go with replacing the fuel pump as advised by the mechanic. Maybe that is a business venture for one to look into, that is, opening a modern auto repair shop. But then, can the average customer afford to use the shop? Sorry I didn't mean to waste your time with that joke, but it's just a thought.

I really don't know how they operate over there without proper test equipment on these technical vehicles as there can be many avenues that can cause similar conditions unless as I see from prior notes they start guessing and replacing parts which gets back to the suggestion you made of a venture of opening a good well equipped shop there. If they can afford paying for all those unnecessary parts guessing I'm sure they would rather pay less for the right one, so really they just need one piece of equipment. Any ways looking back at your notes that this only happens at higher speeds or more throttle demand , and without doing proper scanning and testing , I will through in my 40 yrs and master Toyota tech experience and give you my thoughts on this. Hs anyone checked the fuel filter/ or the catalytic convertors being plugged? Either one of those being plugged or partially plugged would restrict the volume , also I don't believe the fuel pump is at fault and would replace the fuel pressure relief valve on the fuel rails first just for the cost difference. So that's my educated guess, check the fuel filter first, check the catalytic convertors for blockage and replace the fuel pressure regulator on the fuel rails first before I replaced the fuel pump.

Customer reply replied 7 days ago
I will try again to talk to the mechanic on Thursday. So let me know when you want to close this topic. I will then write my review. I do wish I was able to get a solution, but I don't blame you for that. The resolution is made difficult by the awkward situation of the vehicle being in a foreign, third world country.

Yes I can see your situation and this for sure makes it difficult for both of us, I guess that's all you can do is suggest things to them but in the long run it may cost you time and money guessing until they hit the problem. Take those ideas I sent in my last correspondence to them and see what they say and do, that's all we can do I guess. Wish you good luck. I can close the thread from my end but if you wish to write a comment and send it off to our sight about my service, feel free to do so . Any comments are greatly appreciated. Thank you for using "JUST ANSWER."

Customer reply replied 6 days ago
Mr. Bagley, before we sign off on this topic, I will appreciate it greatly if you can interpret the following codes in simple terms for a layman like me to understand. They were in the copy of codes that I sent to you earlier. They are: C1201; C1223; C1337 and C1360.Also, I would like to mention something I observed while driving the Sequoia in Nigeria. And that is that once or twice I observed that when I was stopped in traffic, the fuel level indicator dropped way below the fuel level that I knew was in the tank. The engine would sound like it was going to die, but after sometime, the indicator would rise again and the engine sound would rise with it. The fuel level indicator fluctuated like that a few times. I am just asking for your experienced opinion. I will write my review when you respond to this final request. It looks like I already gave you a 5-star rating even before the resolution of my issue. I wait eagerly to read yours. Thanks a million.

Working on you last request , be patient as will supply info ASAP

C1201 TOYOTA - Engine Control System Malfunction

Possible causes; Sequential Multi-port Fuel Injection (SFI) System Problems Check for other codes

If the C1201 is combined with an Oxygen (O2) Sensor code, repair the O2 sensor code first and clear the codes.

DTC; C1360/61 Master Cylinder Pressure Sensor Circuit

DTC; C1337/37 Some tire is Different Size from the Other Tires

Ok the first thing is code c1201 is just an informative code saying Faults are found , so if you resolve the other codes it will automatically erase. I would first check all your tires and or wheels as per code c1337 as it suggests and resolve that first as it can effect others. The final code c1360 Can very well be a faulty pressure switch on the brake master. Hope this clarifies these codes and your next move.

Peter Bagley
Peter Bagley
Peter Bagley, Auto Service Technician