Toyota

Have Toyota Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

I believe that coolant is leaking out of the exhaust on my…

I believe that coolant...

I believe that coolant is leaking out of the exhaust on my 2006 Camry 2az engine. I performed a leak-down test:

Mechanic's Assistant: How old are the hoses? And have you tested the actual mix of your coolant?

Results: cyl 1 20%, cyl 2 23%, cyl 3 32%, cyl 4 25%. No perceptible noise out of the intake, exhaust, dip stick or radiator cap The coolant is out of the tail-pipe, not a hose

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Camry yourself? What have you tried so far?

The leak down test

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

That's showing a major leak in cylinder 3

Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call.
Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
3/9/2018
Ted Ritter
Ted Ritter, Toyota Master Tech

Hello, thanks for posting

It sounds like the headgasket is leaking or is the head is cracked, these engines had a problem with the threads pulling out of the block and causing the gaskets to blow, try torqueing the headbolts down to find out if any are stripped. If that's the case the threads can be restored using thread inserts. In any case the head has to come off anyway to have it checked for cracks or a blown headgasket, with coolant coming out of the tail pipe there's not much doubt about what the problem is.

OK. That's what I thought. Why didn't I see bubbles coming out of the radiator when I did the leak down test?
How long does it take to pull off the head and add in helicoils? I understand that there are 3 suspect head bolts but do you have to put helicoils in all of the head bolts?

The factory was aware of this problem and it is recommended to replace all the threads with inserts, you can check around around there are some kits available to do this.

Removing the head using non power tools takes about 4 to 5 hours.

Oh that doesn't seem so bad ( 4 to 5 hours). Is there a way I could get an estimate for someone local to fix this through your service?

S​orry but I personally am not able to make recommendations at to where to have work done. A Toyota dealer would be the best choice but they tend to be expensive, Check with some shops in your area and I wish you the best of luck.

Ted Ritter
Ted Ritter, Toyota Master Tech