Toyota

Have Toyota Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Does a 2008 Yaris have a tpms reset button. I placed 4 snow…

Does a 2008 Yaris...

Does a 2008 Yaris have a tpms reset button

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked your tire pressure? Do you have a tire gauge?

I placed 4 snow tires on w/ new tpms valves. All 4 are not working

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Yaris yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Checked air pressure

Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call.
Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
3/9/2018
Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager

HI,

Were the new tpms sensors registered with scan tool? If not, this MUST be done. The reset procedure is only for turning off the light when either tires are rotated, flat tire repaired, or tire with low pressure aired up.

It will NOT register the new sensors to the tpms control module. A scan tool is REQUIRED for this

As to whether it has a reset button, it does not - below is the reset procedure

2008 Toyota Yaris
L4-1.5L (1NZ-FE)
TPMS Reset After Tire Rotation or Flat Repair

Vehicle
Steering and Suspension
Wheels and Tires
Tire Monitoring System
Service and Repair
Reset Procedure

Tire Pressure Warning Light:

When the light comes on low tire inflation pressure is detected. Adjust tire pressure including the spare if it is equipped with a TPMS transmitter.

The light should go off within a few minutes after the tire pressure is adjusted.

If for any reason, you can't rate my answer OKAY, GOOD, or EXCELLENT/3 STARS OR HIGHER today. Please reply and let me know why, so I can help more/better. All follow up responses are FREE, after completing the required rating

Please remember to rate service using the separate rating page. Thank you

Please note that if you have a subscription service, you still are required to rate service, however you are not charged again. This is just so that your expert is credited for their time and services. Thank you.

Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
History, I got snow tires w/ rims from tire rack 12/16. I had them installed w/ tpms valves purchased from Weaver Auto Parts 12/16 Farm and Fleet in Baraboo, WI and they claimed that the 4 tpms were ok. I noticed after driving about 20 miles that the tire indicator would flash and then would stay solid. I took the vehicle in in for an oil change 03/06/2017. They informed me that "TPMS light on, No communication from any of the sensors. Weaver Auto Parts Replaced all 4 sensors on 04/02/2017. I had them placed in the snow tires when I was changing to summer tires 04/02/2017.Farm and Fleet once again claimed that the sensors were ok on the snow tires. I then stored the snow tires for the summer. I drove the whole summer on the summer tires and all was fine, no problems Winter is on its way, I had Farm and Fleet swap summer tires to winter tires. They claimed all four TPMS are ok 12/06/2017. The next day, the same problem I had before appeared.. I got an oil change 12/11/2017 and they informed that all 4 sensors are dead, not reading. I then went to Farm and Fleet, "they all 4 are not working" and could give me know answer as why. This Wednesday, Weaver checked the TPMS and he could not receive a signal. I feel somebody is not doing there job properly. Weaver will replace them again, but I do not want this headache next winter. I hope you can help me! Thank You!!

Ok, when changing out from summer to winter tires that have different tpms sensors mounted in them, even if identical model, have to be registered each time they are swapped.

This is because each tpms sensor has its own 7 digit code. When the code is registered for the summer tire for each tire position, it wipes out the code for the tpms sensors that were registered for the winter tires.

You are not having an issue with the sensors, just using shops that likely dont understand the registration system used in Toyotas and likely dont have a dealer level scan tool to properly register them after swapping them out

are the sensors good? How do you get that seven digit code? So I have to go to Toyota?

HI,

The code is on the side of the sensors, which is inside the tire. If you still have the original sales slip for when they were originally purchased, check to seem if the tech that installed them wrote them down. If not, the tires have to be dismounted from the rims to get the codes.

You can call around to see if any local shops have a toyota scan tool to be able to register the sensors, but if none do, then yes, you would need to go to a Toyota dealer

For I am on the same page. If I take the tires to Toyota, have them set the sensors for my snow tires. Then when I swap out the winter with summer tires. The summer tires need to have the TPMS reset, or the summer tires will be doing the same thing as the winter ones are doing now. In other words, If I had 4 new ones installed by a person said they were dead, they still would not have worked. They would have the Toyota tool to set the sensors. The estimate was $500.00 for all four installed, interesting! What does one of these units cost? You have been awesome!!!!

That is correct. They have to be registered each time you swap winter/summer. The only way around it would be to have the tires dismounted and the sensors swapped from summer to winter rim and the back to summer rim

The sensors list for $65 from Toyota

Can I buy one of these instruments. If so model #? Was not sure about this service, happy with it! Smaller snow tires! They say better traction in the snow.
What would Toyota Charge for registration?

HI,

Toyota scan tool and software is a tad over $5200

If they dont have to dismount the tires, and just have to enter the codes, 1/2 hour labor, about $60

You have a great weekend Eric

thank you and you as well