Toyota

Have Toyota Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Working on 2007 sequoia. starts and runs for 5 seconds then…

working on 2007 sequoia. starts...
working on 2007 sequoia. starts and runs for 5 seconds then stalls. appears to be fuel issue. pump only runs when vehicle is cranking over, no run at 2nd ignition key position.
Answered in 1 minute by:
3/9/2018
rpmdiag
rpmdiag, Tech and Instructor

Hello, my name is ***** ***** to Just Answer! I will be assisting you with your questions today. Give me one moment while I review this.

So some preliminary tests would be to check fuel pressure with a gauge and then check for spark at the plugs, all when this happens. We need to find out first what we're losing in order to move forward. We'll also check the security system if it gets that far.

Please understand that I don't know your skill level or tools
you have to assist us. Also understand that I can't see, smell,
hear, or touch the vehicle either, so your patience is
appreciated. JA is a great Q/A site, but it does not replace a
repair shop. So please don’t shoot the messenger if I have to
deliver bad news:)
pops up. I don’t get credit for helping you until
you rate me

Thanks, Ron

rpmdiag
rpmdiag, Tech and Instructor
Phone call session started

Thanks for the call Chris.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
hello, working on 2007 sequoia, checked tps function as well as accel pos both appear to be working well. tps 16% to 83%, consistent response. accel 1volt to 4 volts consistent response. also plugged in new etc unit no change in fuel pump issue.
did a full system scan with genysis scope, came up with engine control system malfunction?
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
if problem was with tps, plugging new etc in should have resolved fuel pump no run at position 2? still no pump run until cranking vehicle.

Correct if it's plug and play and if the APP sensor agrees with the throttle opening. That's why I sent you those diagrams because we won't know for sure if the APP sensor agrees with the TP sensor. It's a bit confusing,but I'd hate to see you put in a computer if it wasn't confirmed to be bad yet.

Thanks, Ron

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
That doesn't help me. also the diagram shows tps fault affecting injector pulse width, my issue is with fuel pump circuit only remaining energized at crank or when repeatedly revving motor. injector pulse width would be a separate issue?

Yes, it can but not always. I'm just one for doing the tests first before I put in an expensive part. I understand you don't have a scope, so that just leaves us hoping that the new computer will fix it, and it might, but i always want to know for sure. Let me know if you want to talk again,

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
well if it is tps and I replace the tps we will know? correct

Ugh, Most likely, but if the APP sensor isn't agreeing with the TP opening/closing, then we still may have a different issue. Without seeing all the signals, we'll not know for sure. When to open the throttle, the APP sends a signal to the throttle body. You said yourself that the car stays running if you feather it, so is it the APP or the TP?

I'm not trying to be difficult Chris and I know this is frustrating, but I don't build these darn things, I just have to keep up with them.

Thanks again, Ron

Canuck Tech
Canuck Tech, Auto Mechanic

Hi there - I have a hunch, and I'm doing some quick research...

Fuel pump resistor. It is bypassed during cranking.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
thank you, ***** ***** read some threads regarding that. fuel pump is definitely turning on and off as previously described.

So, it the resistor is unplugged, or faulty. the truck will run when you go to the start position, and then run out of fuel when you release the key. Have you checked it?

Happy to send you a pic... if you have an email.

The symptoms sound like a match...

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
fyi tried electronic throttle body just now, no change. truck does what you described. runs at crank, then loses fuel pump power upon release of key. is unit located on psf inner fender? 2 wire? small resistor box, size of a pack of cigarettes?

email? size of an old motorola flip phone, fins to dissipate heat, spec is 0.70 to 0.76 ohms at 20 degree C (68 degree F)

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
will check . if this works out many thanks. will respond after checking.

close to the airbox lid

you could unplug it, jump the wires, and run the truck. no ill effects except the fuel pump will run at full speed - this is ok for diag, but don't run the truck this way

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
youre the man!!! great info, jumped out resistor truck runs normally. let me know what I need to do to get you paid and rayed at 5 stars. chris.

Yes!!!

I think Ron got paid for this one, and no problem. You could contact customer service if you want, but I think you have other things to do. So don't sweat it. Regards, Canuck.

I get a kick out of victories like this!

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
can I tip you somehow?

I don't know what the customer interface looks like, so I can't say for sure...

Ron's a good guy. No worries.

We'll call it a paying it forward kinda thing. I'm happy that you got it fixed.

Thanks for using Just Answer!

rpmdiag
rpmdiag
rpmdiag, Tech and Instructor