Toyota

Have Toyota Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

04 toyota avalon died while driving with no warning. Now it…

04 toyota avalon died...

04 toyota avalon died while driving with no warning. Now it will not start. My car just turns over. I changed the fuel pump but still nothing

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you ever replaced the fuel pump, or is this the original?

I recently purchased the car so I'm not sure...if it's the original or not.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Avalon yourself? What have you tried so far?

So far I've only tried changing the fuel pump.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Yes is there an inertia switch on my car forthe fuel pump?? If so, where is it? And where are the relays for the fuel pump????

Answered in 1 minute by:
3/9/2018
Gunvir Singh

Hello, let me review your request. Please stand by.

Does the engine turn over strong or weak whine when you try to start?

It's weak

Do you have spark present at the spark plugs when you turn the key at the start position?

Are there any codes present in the pcm?

I'm not sure i don't have a machine to check for codes...when i attempt to crank it the rpm needle does not move

Do you smell gasoline smell underhood after attempting to start?

No
Where are the fuel pump relays located

Do you hear the fuel pump come on when you try to start?

No...that's why I'm wondering if it's the fuses or relays to the fuel pump

Let me check the relay location. Please stand by.

Ok
Can you also tell me if there is a "shut off" or inertia switch for thefuel pump on this model car
Have you found it yet???
the ecm relay doesn't have anything to do with the fuel pump

That controls the fuel injector pulse.

would it stop the car from starting?? Even though...i changed the fuel pump.

Yes, it can.

Can the timing belt also cause a car to quit while driving without warning??
The car did not stall nor did any warning lights come on it just shut off.
Could it be the engine immobilizer stopping me from starting??? How would I know???
Are you there???

If the problem is with the immobilizer then the antitheft light will flash or stay on solid on dash when starting. I was leaning towards a broen belt before when i asked about a weak start. But since there is no gas smell and fuel pump is not coming on when keu is on start position that needs to be checked first.

the timing belt can cause a car to stop without warning??? The start becomes weak after i try to start the car a few times...by the time i started conversing with you it was weak. So what do you think just based off what you know???

Yes, timing belt can break when driving and cause the engine to shut off. It can also cause weak start as the engine will not be able to build compression.

Where is the timing belt located?
Image if possible.
Would the belt normally squeak when it's going bad??
I'm not sure...i got the car about 3 weeks ago. So the timing belt and the serpentine belt are two different belts correct?
Hello
Serpentine belt is visible on the passenger side of engine under hood. The timing bet is behind the timing cover.
Ok...you have been most helpful ever!!! I have one last question...would the starter react in this way while driving?? That is my only other part that i wanted to make a ruling on.
Starter cannot stall a vehicle. The symptoms you are experiencing cannot be caused by a starter.
the starter doesn't normally go out while someone is driving??
No.
where is the ecm located?? That's it, that's all i need and i thank you so much!!!
Is this in the dash or the glove box

Close to the edge of the firewall behind glove box

what is the eci relay???

The relay for the ecm.

could the ecm relay be good and the eci relay which is located under the hood be bad and cause the car not to start but turn over???

If the ecu relay is faulty there will be no spark present at the spark plugs and no fuel injector pulse at the injectors when trying to start.

Are you talking about the efi relay?

that's what I'm talking about lol...not eci.

If that relay is bad that can cut off fuel injector pulse signal from the ecm.

Which could cause the car not to start...or would it go out while driving????

It can.

Ok...thank you much!!!!

You're welcome and good luck with your vehicle, And please don’t forget to rate my performance in the upper left corner otherwise i don’t get compensated. Thank you and have a blessed day.

Gunvir Singh