Toyota

Have Toyota Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Easy question.. how hard (say difficulty 1easy-5hard) to…

Hey there.. easy question....

Hey there.. easy question.. how hard (say difficulty 1easy-5hard) to replace a 2010 Toyota Prius Fuel pump? I am fairly adept at repairing things and weighing out whether to pay the 400-600$ labor.. seems like the part ranges anywhere from 400-600 most places anyway.

Mechanic's Assistant: Okay, I'll connect you to the mechanic to discuss this further with you. Before I do, is there anything else you want him to know?

Code is p0171 - they looked at Mass Air flow and did not see issues there. so they looked deeper ended up at fuel pump.. it is at a dealership not a "mom and pop" repair place so I expect labor to cost and the part to be a bit more...

3/8/2018
Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager

HI,

Labor time is only 1.1 hours to replace the fuel pump.

The rear seat cushion and a couple of floor trim panel pieces are removed to access the fuel pump and replace it from inside the vehicle without dropping the tank.

I have attached directions for you so you can decide if this is something you can do or not.

If for any reason, you can't rate my answer OKAY, GOOD, or EXCELLENT/3 STARS OR HIGHER today. Please reply and let me know why, so I can help more/better. All follow up responses are FREE, after completing the required rating

Please remember to rate service using the separate rating page. Thank you

Please note that if you have a subscription service, you still are required to rate service, however you are not charged again. This is just so that your expert is credited for their time and services. Thank you.

HI,

As to how easy, maybe a 2. It is something someone with basic mechanic skills can do.

The special tool listed in the directions to loosen the pump can be rented from Autozone, Advanced Auto Parts or O'Reillys

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I read something about pressure in at least one of the fuel lines.. is that a problem to deal with.. meaning, once that pressure is released - is there some way it has to be "repressurized" at assembly? are there differences for each generation of Prius or all are accessed the same way.

HI,

The directions I provided are for you 2010 model. Some older ones required dropping the tank, but yours does not.

To repressurize the system once everything is reinstalled is to turn key to on position for 3 seconds and turn off. Repeat twice to repressurize.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
this is good data. thanks - I am leaving this open until I can get the part in my hand tomorrow and replace on Saturday.. I feel after showing me, this is something I feel comfortable doing. Autozone has the tool kit for load and I appreciate that insight as well. Will get back on Saturday with more questions that may arise or complete KUDOS (so far very satisifed)! Thanks.

Ok, sounds good

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Just reminder that I will be replacing this tomorrow (Sat). I got an email that I had not replied) to an answer..

Sorry about that. They are automatic reminders sent from the site that I unfortunately cannot control

Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager