Toyota

Have Toyota Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

The tail lights wont shut off after the car turned off. How?

Customer Question
The tail lights wont...

The tail lights wont shut off after the car turned off

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the bulbs? Have you checked the connection?

How?

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Toyota?

2000

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?

Nothin in a girl i just bought it off someone

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

All he said to me was the lights are automatic

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Toyota
3/8/2018
Toyota Mechanic: Ted Ritter, Toyota Master Tech replied 1 month ago
Ted Ritter
Ted Ritter, Toyota Master Tech

Thanks for posting

Do any of the other lights stay on as well, the front park lights or side marker lights?

Is the center brake light on?

Unfortunately I have to go offline for to day, I will give you a couple of ideas as to what's going on with the lights.

If the center brake light is staying on it means that the lights that are on are the brake lights not the tail lights, if that's the case the problem is most likely the brake light switch. If only the tail lights remain on and the clearance lights then the problem may be a tail light relay or the switch on the steering wheel. If ONLY the tail lights stay there may be a short circuit in the wiring to the rear or there are wrong bulbs installed in the back, this is a little more involved and you may have to have a professional get involved to check voltages and resistance etc.

You can still reply to me, I will get notifications on my phone and I will respond back to you as soon as possible. If the matter is not too urgent we can continue tomorrow morning , I will be here most of the day. finally, I know the year of the Toyota is 2000, I need to know the model, camry, corolla etc, thanks looking forward for your reply.

Ted Ritter
Ted Ritter
Ted Ritter, Toyota Master Tech