Toyota

Have Toyota Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

My 2007 Toyota Solara has 250,000 miles and recently

My 2007 Toyota Solara...

My 2007 Toyota Solara has 250,000 miles and recently developed a severe vibration and shaking upon acceleration only. I replaced all four tires yesterday and the problem did not improve. I checked all steering and suspension parts with the car on my lift and everything appears tight and undamaged except for minor grease escaping the cv clamp on the drivers side inner cv boot. The vibration does not change when I steer left or rh

Mechanic's Assistant: How has the ride been lately? Have you noticed any fluid under the car?

I am not sure weather it more likely the torque convertor stuttering or cv axles causing the problem. No fluid leaks, and no service lights on dash.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Solara yourself? What have you tried so far?

The car drives like new when I'm not accelerating or climbing an incline.I am working on the solara myself and thus far have only replaced four new tires and balanced yesterday with no change.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

The vibration does not change when I steer left or right. Ive read about Toyota torque convertor problems on some models. The car had no issue prior to 2 wks ago but its getting worse quickly.

I forgot to mention I feel the severe vibration in the seat and floor and Not in the steering wheel even though it is only when acceleration or under load.
3/7/2018
Dan, Technician
It definitely sounds like a cv axle, a torque converter would usually cause codes and slipping. I would recommend trying to feel what side the vibration is comming from then replace the axle on that side, it is most likely the side with the leak. Also make sure there is no play in wheel which would indicate tie rod ends or ball joint. My goal is to provide 5 star service so please let me know if you have any questions. Thanks
Dan, Technician
That is very encouraging as I did not want to change the torque convertor. I will Change the CV axles one at a time starting with the leaky side first and see if that works. I have read that it is important to use factory original axles instead of aftermarket which hurts because of the high mileage on the car but I don't want to do it twice.
I think you would be fine with aftermarket, let me know how it goes. Thanks
Okay that very good to hear. Thank you. I'll let you know how it goes within a few days.
Sounds good, I'll to you then.