Toyota

Have Toyota Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

I've got a 1986 Toyata Tercel. Having trouble starting the…

I've got a 1986...

I've got a 1986 Toyata Tercel. Having trouble starting the vehicle. I get nothing when I turn it over. However, I've got headlights. Tried jumping it unsuccessfully. Any ideas or further information that I can provide?

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the fuses? Have you checked the bulbs?

I've got a 1986 Toyota Tercel. Having trouble starting the vehicle. I've got headlights but get nothing when I turn it over. Tried jumping it from another vehicle unsuccessfully. Any suggestions or further information that I can provide?

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Tercel yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes I am trying. Checked the connectiomn

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

The "Door Open" light on the dash has been on but I checked all doors and it has remained on. Dont

3/7/2018
Canuck Tech
Canuck Tech, Auto Mechanic

Does the engine crank over but no start, or does it not crank over at all?

By cranking do you mean a click. No, I get nothing at all when when I turn the key.

no click, no engine cranking over... OK.

automatic, or manual transmission?

Manual.

do you have a test light or volt meter?

No, I do not but may be able to locate on.

Was there anything that lead up to the no crank condition, or did you just jump in the car one day, and it wouldn't crank?

Having both a test light and voltmeter would be best...

However, before you go too far, there is a fuse box under the hood. Do any of your dash lights come on when you turn the key to the on position? I'm trying to determine which / if a fuse is blown

No, there are no lights on the dash when I try to start it.

There are some fusible links as well... sounds like you have no power to the ignition switch, which is serviced by a fusible link.

There should be a couple of wires off the positive battery cable. One goes right to the starter, and you need to closely check the integrity of the wires and links that also come off the positive battery terminal. One of these could be burnt, causing the no power to the ignition switch. Grab the wires, and give them a tug. You are looking for excessive stretchiness, which would indicate a failed fusible link.

any chance the jumper cables got hooked up backwards?

There does not appear to be any looseness in any of the cables coming off the positive battery terminal.
No, double checked them but good thought.

https://www.google.ca/search?q=fusible+links+1986+toyota+tercel&tbm=isch&source=iu&ictx=1&fir=GtHzbjVC57E6TM%253A%252CStrgykeEhy9ruM%252C_&usg=__eU-2_lGYxDzZC0B2Gr7obCMPGrQ%3D&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwi2uba4_NrZAhUL8GMKHUomC-0Q9QEILzAC#imgrc=1yTrm1wnBZ5kBM:

This link should give you an idea what I'm taking about - a fusible link is a section of special wire that acts as a fuse. The no power to the ignition switch leads me in this direction

Should I just be looking for play in this cable or something additional?

it will be stretchy if it is bad

It does not seem to be stretchy. The cables that it is attached to all seem to move appropriately when pulled.

without a volt meter, I'm out of ideas for the moment. I'll release your question, and perhaps another expert has some ideas. If there aren't any other responses, you can write me back when you source a voltmeter and test light. Canuck

I will try to find one. Thanks very much Canuck

No problem. Hope you get it beat!

Is Canuck available. Spoke with him yesterday and now have a multimeter?
Is Canuck available? Was speaking with him yesterday and now have the multimeter that he requested that I get.
Hi there.
Hi Canuck. I have a multimeter but no test light. Should I find one before we continue or is the multimeter adequate?
Multimeter should work. Two steps to start. Voltage across the battery, and then put one multi meter lead on the negative terminal, and one on the big cable connection at the starter.
If we see something close to 12.6 volts in both situations, there is a smaller wire with a plastic connector that also goes to the starter. You'll need extra hands for this... Disconnect that wire, hold a lead into that wire, put the other end on the negative terminal of the battery, and have someone turn the key to the start position.
Sorry, was not at vehicle but I am now. Anywhere on the cable to the starter? I’ll have to find a nother pair of hands for the next step.
Right at the cable connection to the starter for the first test. I want to make sure you have voltage at the starter
The battery read 11.6 V and I can’t get at the starter connection. It is beneath the starter.
Sorry, battery read 11.9V but neither is very good.
Nothing at the starter.
Nothing at the starter??? The big cable? So, negative battery post with one end of the voltmeter, and the big connection at the starter? You either have bad battery connections, or right at the battery terminals... It could be the negative cable or post as well.
Thanks very much for your help Canuck. I’ll chase that.
Let me know what you find. It is a big open / high resistance. It could be right at the battery, or the terminals where the wires connect.
Canuck Tech
Canuck Tech, Auto Mechanic

Most likely, this is at the battery. I would take off the terminals from the battery, and also loosen, wiggle and retighten the connections on the terminals to the cables.