Toyota

Have Toyota Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

My 2008 v6 Toyota 4Runner was off for a few weeks while I…

Hello all, My 2008 v6 Toyota...
Hello all,
My 2008 v6 Toyota 4Runner was off for a few weeks while I was on a trip. When I came back the battery was dead. I tried to jump it a few times with no dice. The car would turn on for a second and then die. I replaced the battery and it turned on again, but now I have major problems.
Initially my check engine light, parking brake, and VSC and ABS lights are on with a loud tone. The brakes do not work, but the brake lights do, and so does the parking brake.
I ran an OBD2 scanner and got a p2118 and p2118 p code. I checked my ECTS fuse and it was blown. I replaced that, and disconnected my negative battery terminal for about 5 mins and now the codes are gone as well as my check engine light. However my brake associated lights remain on with the loud tone. Any ideas?
3/7/2018
Ted Ritter
Ted Ritter, Toyota Master Tech

Thanks for posting

The engine runs and it drives normally but the ABS and VSC lights remain on only? Is that correct so far?

Does the truck stop normally or is there still a braking issue?

Thanks for the quick reply. My 4runner is not parked here so I won’t have access until later tonight.It still has trouble starting up, I replaced the battery last night and tried to check fuses this morning. When I cranked it, it sounded like it started but immediately died. On the second crank attempt, it started. I don’t know if the computer has ‘relearned how to idle’ from how short I keep it on while trouble shooting.The truck does run, everything internal to the car seems to work ok. Since replacing the the ECTS fuse, the check engine light is off, and the code reader says 0 open codes.However the VSC off light blinks, and the loss of traction light, with the skidding car I’m pretty sure is solid, although it could be blinking, I don’t remember. And the ABS light is solid along with a steady loud tone or alarm. Additionally my parking brake light is illuminated and steady.I did not try the brakes this morning when I replaced my ECTS fuse because I still had the tone and lights, but last night the brakes did not seem to work at all. However when I shifted my car into drive or reverse, it was a very hard jolt and the car would idle in the appropriate direction and I could stop myself with the parking brake. Again, whether the parking brake was engaged or not, the parking brake light remained illuminated. I do also have throttle input, but I’ve only pressed the gas pedal in park.

Thanks for the reply

A phone call is not required to continue and I would rather text here anyway.

Before this starting problem happened and the battery was replaced was any work done on the brake or suspension system? It's possible that you code reader can not access the abs/skid control system and so there are no codes shown but there is a problem since those lights remain on. when you have access to the truck check the brake fluid first and add some fluid if needed, disconnect the negative side on the battery for a minute, start it, do not put it in gear right away, do those lights turn on at that time or only after you put it in gear and start moving? Let me know how that goes and let me know about the brake question above.

Maybe a month or 2 ago I did replace the suspension. I haven’t had any issues or lights since this problem. I did check the fluid reservoir last night and it appeared full.This morning when I noticed the ECTS fuse was blown, I replaced it and still had the check engine light. Before I had to leave, I disconnected the Neg battery cable for about 5 mins and then restarted the vehicle. The check engine light disappeared but everything else remained. The lights and tone are present almost immediately when I turn the key to on or acc, before I start the engine. It pauses for a second when the car turns on but comes back immediately.

O, thanks, ***** ***** to be an open circuit in the abs system or the abs computer could be the problem, what I would like to recommend is that you have that part diagnosed with a code reader that can access the abs/skid control system. If those lights remain on there has to be some code information.

Would an open circuit be caused by a blown fuse? One of the ABS fuses, the green clear one looked a little odd when I was looking at it last night. I couldn’t tell if it was blown or not. I planned on picking up some of those fuses and replacing the green and 2 pink ones and seeing if that does anything. Also, those 30 and 40amp ABS fuses, do they just pull out? I didn’t want to mess with those because I couldn’t figure out how to pull them

Yes those fuses all just pull out, go ahead and give that a try, it's common for the ECTS fuse to blow when the battery is disconnected or jumped, the other fuse should not blow unless there is a short circuit in the system but who knows, so give that a shot and let me know, we may need a t voltmeter or test light to check some of the voltages after that.

last night I pulled the battery and replaced the 40a ABS MTR Circuit Breaker and when I reconnected the battery negative terminal, the battery sparked and the fuse immediately blew again. I also disconnected the 2 black cables on the abs computer on the side of the reservoir and tried another fuse and when I reconnected the bottom harness, the fuse blew again. Now my check engine light is back on and I’m throwing a p0500 code. My speedometer and ODO no longer work as well. The rest of the cluster does though.Also before I tried to reset the fuse, I had a c1223 c1253 and c1256 code. Now with my new problems I’m not getting any ABS codes, only the p0500 and a rear door latch code which I’m not concerned with right now.The VSC lights are now gone, but with the p0500 code I’m not sure that’s a good thing or not. My abs light, check engine light and parking brake light resume on and so does the loud ABS tone in the cabin.I thought I didn’t have brakes, but I do. I was able to make the short trip home but my braking power is extremely reduced. Basically having to push the brake all the way to the floor before the car stops. And it takes a much further distance to stop.Any ideas?

Thanks for the reply, just so I understand, the 40A fuse is back in now but you are getting the speeds sensor code P0500 is the only code but you still have the warning buzzer, loss of braking,etc.

Those codes you were getting indicate a malfunction with the ABS computer or possibly it's a wiring issue, you mentioned that the truck sat for a few weeks, if there is a possible chance of rodents getting under the hood there could be some wiring damage so inspect for signs of rodents chewing on wires at any signs that rodents may have entered the vehicle.

I’ve blown 3 40a ABS MTR fuses. The original one, and then the other 2 immediately after power is applied either via the battery negative cable or the reconnecting the harnesses to the black CU on the side of the brake reservoir.My concern is now the p0500 code. Is the VSC computer also in the ABS computer? The VSC and skid lights don’t turn on at all, even with the key to on/acc/or engine on position. Not even for a second to see if the lights test good like in a normal start sequence.I can’t afford the 3500 bucks Toyota quoted me to install a new brake actuator assembly. I pulled one from a junk yard 07 for 400, and a mechanic is installing it today. I’m hoping that should fix my brake issues, but I’m concerned about the p0500 code as I think that will remain. And if the new resevoir assembly doesn’t fix my brake issues then I don’t know what to do.I have a version of techstream available at home. The only DTC is the p0500 and some random body codes. B1241, B221, and a history of B1152. The ABS and VSC computers are not communicating with techstream apparently. On the healthcheck is has an asterisk next that ECU which the legend says it’s not available or communicating.
It’s also possible, but unlikely it got chewed on by an animal. I have not see any evidence of that in a visual inspection

Those B codes are body control codes , a problem with the back window control circuit, I don't want to tell you to replace anything but it sounds like the abs actuator/ecu is the problem for those C codes so let's see what happens after the ABS actuator is replaced and see if any other codes come up.

Ted Ritter
Ted Ritter, Toyota Master Tech
my brakes are normal again and the lights are all out. But my VSC I’m not sure is working. The VSC lights all come on when I start the vehicle as part of the normal start sequence. But my VSC off switch doesn’t get the VSC lights to come off. Additionally, my VSC doesn’t turn off when I shift into 4WD and lock my center differential. I have techstream version 10. Yesterday I ran a check and c1202 came up. I cleared it and ran a zero point calibration and also ran the ABS/VSC ecu in test mode. I drove about an hour over a few trips since and did not get any codes last night, or this morning when I ran a health check. But my VSC still will not turn off with the switch or when shifting into 4wd with the center diff locked.So I’m not even sure it’s working. However if I unplug the VSC switch fon the master cylinder assembly, the light does turn off. So the system appears to be talking to the car. I don’t know.Come to think of it, when I unplugged the VSC to see if the lights illuminate, that may be the reason I got the c1202? It hasn’t come back, so I’m not sure.Any ideas for the VSC?
To be clear, my ‘VSC off’ lights illuminate as normal when starting the vehicle and then extinguish. But, I can not get the ‘VSC off’ associated lights to illuminate when I manually try to turn off the VSC with my VSC off switch or like it’s supposed to when I shift into 4WD and lock the center differential

T​hanks for the reply, at least you're making some progress, the VSC light should turn on and stay on when you're in 4X4, this means that the skid control and the trac systems are disabled as long as the 4x4 is engaged

Yeah, I understand that, but it appears that the VSC is remaining engaged while I’m in 4WD

Are you still getting some codes?

No, I’m not getting any codes. Are you familiar with Toyota techstream by chance?

Yes, I've used it for may years.

Ok, and just verifying you saw my c1202 code post this morning as well?Do you have any ideas on functionality via techstream I can use to check the system?I also ran a signal test yesterday and got 13 findingsC0371
C1271-C1275
C1277-C1279
C1281-C1283I ran the signal test both with the ignition ‘on’ and with the engine idling and got the same findings. But I don’t have any active DTC’s. Even this morning. The last one I had was the c1202, but don’t know if I got that because I had unplugged the VSC connector from the ABS ecu.

This getting too involved and time consuming for me so I'm sorry but I will have to opt out.

Daniel, ASE Certified Tech/business owner

Hi, my name is ***** ***** I will be assisting you today. Please note that all experts are paid based off of ratings alone and I prefer five stars so please let me know what I can do to achieve that from you today.

Based on the conversations that I've read so far I am going to request that we do a live phone call to better assist you more efficiently. Please accept so that we can continue.

For some reason it will not allow me to request a phone call from you but I do believe that you can request a phone call from me... I will be waiting for your request.

Hey Daniel, do you really think you have an idea here? Because if not, I’m probably just going to take my 4runner to Toyota Next week

It seems to be letting me send you a request for phone call assistance now, I will send that to you in just a second. As far as your question of whether I can figure the problem out, I do believe that I can but it will all depend on your capability of doing any tasks that may need to be completed in order to figure out the problem dot-dot-dot I can guide you every step of the way.

LOL, I thought it would let me send you a request but it is still not letting me. Best thing for you to do is to just send me a request for phone call assistance.

Alright I just got home and sent you the request
Phone call session started
Sorry I missed your call. I hadn’t turned my Bluetooth on so I missed my phone ringing. You can call back anytime

I'm glad that I was able to assist you this evening, thank you for giving me the opportunity. Please don't forget to rate the service this evening and please let me know if there's anything more that I can help you with. Have a great evening!

Actually, I don’t see how I can rate you. I rated the last guy yesterday and it shows his rating at the top. Do you know how to change it?
Not sure, I think that you can go to the top and change the rating that you gave and it would still apply to me.
Thanks!
The FAQ says if I can’t rate to let you know so you can adjust my question so I can rate. If you can’t I’ll see if I can shoot them an email

Wiil do, thank you

I have sent the question up to be reopened so that you can give another rating for me. Keep an eye out for that to happen and thanks again.

Hey so last night I pulled apart the switch and I don’t know it’s broken or not. Honestly I couldn’t tell how pushing in the switch makes it operate, but regardless, I have a new one coming. So I tested the ohms again, and I’m not getting a reading at all I think on wire 4. 3 gives me about 5 ohms whether I press the button or not. I also unplugged the VSC harness from the master cylinder and got the c1202 code to come up again so I think that’s just from the harness being unplugged. If I’m not getting any ohms from wire 4, what does that mean?
Alright, sorry, so I think I’m figuring out my multimeter. I set it to 200ohms or below, and I’m getting, with the vehicle on, About 3.5 ohms on wire 4 and no reading on wire 3. Honestly I think I’m confused on which is wire 3 and 4. But if that diagram you sent me is off the button, and not the harness, than wire 3 is no ohms and wire 4 is about 3 or so. There is no change whether the button is pressed or not.Also my new battery, I disconnected it last night and left the negative cable unplugged all night to see if I could maybe ‘reset’ the system. This morning then I reattached the negative cable, a didn’t spark, but a little bit of smoke came off the battery terminal. Is this normal?

A very small amount of smoke can be expected... It's really hard to tell without seeing it for myself. It definitely should not smoke very much at all

As far as the switch is concerned, based on the readings that you gave me last night... The electrical is fine and the switch needs to be replaced. That is where I would start first

Press the wrong button, did not mean to opt out.

Are there any other questions that I can answer for me?

Its hard to tell from the diagram you gave me, but I think it’s not good that the middle wire gives no reading for ohms. I realized I left my multimeter on all night and it was reading the exact same thing as when my I tested that wire last night. My switch is on its way from Japan. So I probably have a little while, but if it’s not the switch, where do I go from there.

If it is not the switch then there's going to be a short and the wiring harness somewhere... Best thing to do is to wait for the switch so that we know for sure that is not the problem and then we can move on.

Hey, so something very interesting happened. I’m going trough my ABS system and going through an active test and individually testing solenoids through techstream.For all of the tests I get a little click and then on data list the corresponding solenoid switches from ‘OFF’ to ‘ON’ for a second or so, and then that’s it.When I got to ‘TRAC Solenoid (SRMR)’ and test on, I get a loud noise coming from the master cylinder area and that almost sounds like static, and my ABS, VSC, and TRAC lights come on with a buzzer. And then the test finishes and it goes off.Additionally, I couldn’t get my ‘VSC/TRAC OFF’ light to test on. When I run the test, nothing happens. No clicks, no lights on the dash. If I test my ‘VSC warning light’ and ‘ABS warning light’ both of those come on.Again, when I click my ignition to ‘on’ all 3 lights light up, and they light up with the tone when I test the SRMR TRAC solenoid. I’m betting this is my issue. Any ideas what the heck that is?

It is possible but without replacing the switch it will be very difficult to tell. I also without the proper codes to diagnose system with it will be very difficult to run through if this isn't electrical problem. Best thing is to just wait for the switch to keep from accidentally causing more issues.

Hey man, just for your future knowledge incase this randomly comes up again for you. I had the wrong ABS computer on my master assembly. It comes together as 1 complete kit and the part number shows it’s for 05-09 4runners. However, the VSC off switch was new in 08’s so I started doing some digging and found the ABS computers have a different number printed on them starting in 08. I took a gamble and bought another used one, but from an 08, with the right ABS computer code and now everything is as it should be. Thanks for the help
Great! I'm glad that you were able to get everything fixed correctly. That's great information and I am glad that I could help... Let me know if there's anything more that I can do!