Toyota

Have Toyota Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

I am looking into buying a 2005 Toyota Camry at a great cost…

Customer Question
I am looking into...

I am looking into buying a 2005 Toyota Camry at a great cost but it currently has a problem

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Camry yourself? What have you tried so far?

No, we are currently trying to diagnose the problem to see if it's worth me buying

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Well there is plenty but I guess I can tell him all about it

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Toyota
3/7/2018
Toyota Mechanic: tims auto repair, mechanic replied 4 months ago
tims auto repair

Hi, My name is ***** ***** for the delay.
I will do my best to assist you.

The owner said the car stopped while driving. It won't start but when they key is turned to on, everything lights up just fine. It acts like it wants to start but doesn't. The starter was replaced within the past year. The battery seems fine. The car did not over heat or make any knocking noise or any other noise. They check engine light has not
Came on at all

so,,the starter does turn the engine now?

what engine does it have?

I'm not sure about what engine it has

well,,that kinda matters

does the starter turn the engine?

Im assuming it's not the starter since it has been replaced within the last yr.
I'm told that everything turns

does the starter turn the engine when you try to start?

From my understanding yes

is it a 4 cylinder or a v6?

I'm told that the belts do turn

ok..

is it a 4 cylinder or a v6?

I believe a 4 cylinder, I'm not 100% sure

how many miles is on it?

That is something that I wished I had asked after doing my research

ok,,i will give you my thoughts..

The alternator was replaced as well within the past yr

sense the engine stopped while it was being driven,,and didnt ever restart..and gives no codes..

to me it sounds as if it has jumped time..if this is the case,,it is possible that it could have also warped the valves..

if i were you i would shy away from it

thanks

If you are satisfied with my answer, Please Rate my answer by clicking the rating button so I can get credit for my work. I’m not always going to be giving you good news, so please don't let this stand in the way of you accepting my answer. .it does not cost you more money and we will still be able to communicate, ,.please understand, i can not see, hear or touch the vehicle and only know what you tell me. Bonuses and positive feedback are appreciated.. if you are not satisfied with my answer, please do not leave bad feedback ,i will gladly opt out and let another expert handle the question. .if i have sent any diagrams, please print them. .sometimes you may need to right click the image [,then save picture as]to save it to your computer so you can open it with your picture program...Please ask if you need more help.

What does that mean?

that means that i think the timing belt/chain has broken...when that happens the valves will hit the pistons and warp them..

it may cost more to fix the car than what it is worth if this is the case.

That was the initial diagnosis but the owner felt that the timing belt was still good after his inspection

i would stay away from it unless he got it running

He thought it was a head gasket, but due to no signs of that being the issue I feel that can be dismissed. Never got hot, no knocking sounds..

yes,,i would think the timing belt let go

I understand that, it's just the fact that the car is $700 or best offer and in good shape otherwise. I was just trying to see if it could be a problem worth me putting about $500 into it and having a good car.
If it's not the timing belt, what else could it be?
if it is the time belt would that be considered a lost cause? I'm told I could have that fixed between $500-$700...

from the way you explain,,i wouldnt think it could be much else

if the timing belt broke while driving it is possible that it warped the valves also,,this would meen you would need a new head..

could cost as much as $1500-$2000 to fix..

you could buy a good running car for that.

How could that be checked since it's parked, without have it towed to a shop?

you would need a compression tester and check the compression

Ok thank you for ur time.

again,,if you dont have the means of fixing the car..my advice is to stay away from that one..

you are very welcome

Ok, I do have one more question, how do I get a compression tester?
The owner feels that everything as far as the starter, alternator (those have been changed within the last year) is still good. The battery is supposedly still good, the oil is good with no burnt smell or signs of water in it, self checked the timing belt and feels that is still good, the lights and everything still comes on but the car just won't start (but sounds like it wants to) the owner also says that the check engine light has not came on and there was no noise or rattling or knocking sound either.
I looked into the computer system and that could be a possibility but due to it not matching all the symptoms I have my doubts.
I just need to Kno what else could be the problem with this car before I buy it, willing to put no more than $500 worth of work into fixing the problem. I'm told to leave it alone but I'm entertaining the possibility of getting a decent car for a decent price with little cost for repairing the problem. Please help me.
Toyota Mechanic: Peter Bagley, Auto Service Technician replied 4 months ago
Peter Bagley
Peter Bagley, Auto Service Technician

Hello and welcome to just answer, new tech here , my name is ***** ***** master tech of over 40 years experience here to help. I cannot see or hear your vehicle so I rely on your patience and input to my questions so I can help you better.I have read your notes and have a question before we proceed.

How much is the seller asking for this vehicle?

$700 obo

Ok this is what I suggest as that under normal circumstances is a steal of a deal considering the blue book value is over $5000 taking in the fact of it's condition. So if you like the car and body in good shape and if you can afford that $1500-2000 to fix it properly, your still ahead of the game for a nice vehicle. Mind you, before I tell them to go ahead and fix it I would do a couple of things. Get two more estimates from reputable shops and ask them to check it over and make a report what it will need in the short term to keep it going good as , maintenance , brakes etc. By doing this you know your not getting scammed and what is ahead of you. Remember in the future always ask the seller if you can have it checkeds over by your mechanic and if they are leery to let you do so then they may be hiding something and move on. Hope this helps you decide better, let me know.