Toyota

Have Toyota Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Need some electrical problem help. 2001 Toyota celica gts. I…

Customer Question
Need some electrical problem...

Need some electrical problem help

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the make/model/year of your car?

2001 Toyota celica gts

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Celica yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes, I checked all fuses under the hood and interior, checked all relays. I did a voltage drop test which I got a 0.01, checked the battery and alternator and still none of my dash lights,windows, radio and moon roof work

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the fuses? The dashboard bulbs?

Yes I checked the fuses, and also the bulbs

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Toyota
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
There was a short right behind the key ignition, the only way the cluster lights, turn on is if I put a jumper wire from the + alternator fuse on to the relay next to it which labeled MC/G
3/7/2018
Toyota Mechanic: Ted Ritter, Toyota Master Tech replied 1 month ago
Ted Ritter
Ted Ritter, Toyota Master Tech

Thanks for posting,

when the key is turned to on do all of the warning lights on the dash turn on? Is this what you mean by cluster lights?

You said there was a short, id this now fixed? do you have a voltmeter or a 12 volt test light?\

does it start and run?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
No just the airbag symbol and the door ajar lights turn on. Well since my gas indicator is digital that don't turn on either. No the short hasnt been fixed its because of this short that caused all my interior lighting and it also seems it affected my engine idling. I have both and yes it does turn on and headlight n tail lights work fine

I​s the short before or after the ignition switch? What color are the wires that have the short, are there wires burned?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Sent you 2 pics the first one you will see two wires that are split one that was my doing wanted to check for continuity

Locate the 25A AM1 fuse, is there voltage to it AND IS THE FUSE GOOD?

T​here are 2 power window fuses, both are 20A FL and FR do they have power and intact?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
they are

T​his problem is getting to involved to solve without having access to the car, I'm going to opt out and see id another expert is able to help with this.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ok thank you
Chris (aka-Moose), Auto Technician