Toyota

Have Toyota Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

I just purchased a used 2004 Toyota Sienna. the CEL is not…

Customer Question
I just purchased a used...
I just purchased a used 2004 Toyota Sienna. the CEL is not on and they said they just replaced the battery. So far I have driven 324 miles and the EVAP and CAT are still showing not ready. Please help
Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Toyota
3/7/2018
Toyota Mechanic: Danny, ASE Certified Technician replied 1 month ago
Danny
Danny, ASE Certified Technician
I don't know how often you fill up your fuel tank but the EVAP system often will not run the test again until you vent the pressure in the tank so try loosening the cap and tightening the cap evap really only runs at idle when the intake air temperature is below 71 degrees so depending on where you live and might even be too hot so wait till then just gold turn the ignition on take the cap off put the cap back on then start the vehicle and let it idle for an extended period of time basically until it warms up then let it cool down again and do it again and then.The catalytic converter runs with the RPM between like 3800 4400 RPM and you have to stay there for extended period of time so get on the highway at night and do you like 4200 RPM in 3rd or 4th gear and do that for like 15 or 20 miles without leaving that RPM range as much as possible.Or if you had a factory building scanner tool they can usually do it.I'm not sure if you've already tried to live yourself through emissions but in some years and some states you only have to pass 6 of the 8 tests.If I've answered your questions your satisfaction please remember to hit accept next to my name because that is the only way that I'm compensated for my time on this site. If you have any other questions please don't hesitate to ask, you can ask further questions about this topic even after hitting accept.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I live in Nevada, I have tried the test and it was rejected. How soon should I take the car to be tested after this whole process?
Here is a link to the EPA drive cycle that is supposed to set all the Readiness test to get the vehicle ready to go through emissions.http://www.lyberty.com/car/drive-cycle.html
Danny
Danny
Danny, ASE Certified Technician