Toyota

Have Toyota Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

I'm looking at purchasing a 2013 Toyota Prius trim II with…

I'm looking at purchasing a...
I'm looking at purchasing a 2013 Toyota Prius trim II with 39K miles. It is in good condition interior/exterior. Never owned a hybrid. Have a few question.Are there any recall for this year?Do you need a computer to bleed the breaks?What is the most expensive repair other than the hybrid battery?How many cells in the hybrid battery?I hear that you need to go to the dealer for most maintenance. Is this true? I'm mechanically inclined so can do your average maintenance myself.
3/6/2018
Skyvisions
Skyvisions, ASE Certified Technician

Do you have the VIN available so I can check a few things?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
No vin

If you could get the vehicle identification number I can get you a lot more information. That being said to bleed the brakes on this vehicle provided there was no air in the system initially for example if the master cylinder was taken off for the ABS actuator was taken off it's not necessary to use the scan tool or computer. Just cracking the bleeders and bleeding the fluid out for example to do a brake fluid flush does not require a scan tool. The front calibers on this are strictly hydraulic. The rear calipers are controlled by the ABS electric pump motor. All you have to do is crack the rear bleeders loose and touch the brake pedal and it will spray brake fluid out. There are potential recalls but without the vehicle identification number I can't tell you specifically if there are any for your car. It depends on production data and so on. I know there's some software updates for the hybrid system. The hybrid battery and hybrid transaxle would be the two most expensive repairs. With only 39,000 miles on this vehicle I would not be too concerned about any of that provided there was good oil change maintenance done to this car they're very reliable and usually good for 200,000+ miles. There are 14 battery block modules each module consists of two separate cells. Going to the dealer is not necessarily always true as far as maintenance. Anybody can change the oil service and the brakes provided you trust their ability and work ethic. Spark plugs of the same as any other engine and are due until 100,000 miles likewise the coolant and transmission fluid. Just use only Toyota parts and for example the transmission fluid takes WS fluid use only Toyota WS fluid. the transaxle at 100,000 miles if you're planning on keeping the car long term I would consider maybe dialing it back to about 80,000 miles to do those two services. If you have any other specific concerns or questions about this particular car feel free to reply and I will get back to you with as much information as you need. If you have not done so please do not forget to rate the assistance I provided you today at three or higher and a five would be awesome thank you.

Skyvisions
Skyvisions, ASE Certified Technician
Skyvisions
Skyvisions
Skyvisions, ASE Certified Technician