Toyota

Have Toyota Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

ALOHA! I've got a 2007 Sport Edition 4 Runner V8 4WD and the…

ALOHA! I've got...

ALOHA! I've got a 2007 Sport Edition 4 Runner V8 4WD and the back door LEAKS from the holes in the top after it rains ?

Mechanic's Assistant: How old are the hoses? And what driving conditions do you most often encounter?

Rarely rains, got 93k on it, bought it new - mostly highway driving - has rained much lately -

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model of your '07 Toyota?

Never changed hoses YES 2007

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?

No took it to Toyota dealer - they said diagnostics $140 and funny thing just this past weekend the latch on the door got stuck bad kept popping up while driving - I feel they "MAY" be related though the dealer said a separate $140 diagnostic test for that too - I've not done anything but wanted to test with hose to check if the window rubber seal or if it's coming from the gap at top? I've got a video of it pouring out of those 2 top holes and catching it - you can hear it swishing around when I open the door too

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

What was the ? about conencting me to a mechanic does that cost and what ?

3/7/2018
Peter Bagley
Peter Bagley, Auto Service Technician

Hello and welcome to just answer, my name is ***** ***** master tech of over 40 years experience here to help. I cannot see or hear your vehicle so I rely on your patience and input to my questions so I can help you better.I have read your notes and have a question before we proceed.

Have you checked the drains in the bottom of the rear door ? If your hearing a slurping sound then I suspect there is water in the tailgate and starting to short things out, so you will have to open up the tinny drains at the bottom of the door first. Then I can also help you to pinpoint where the water leak is your talking about if you wish.

My goal is to give you the best experience possible! I hope I have earned a 5 star rating! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen before you leave today. If you need more assistance, please use the reply box and let me know. In the process of helping you I will use sources from all different places that I feel fit and to the point that will speed up my help for you. This may include links, videos, shop notes and procedures as well as my own personal experience of over 40 yrs in the trade.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Good Morning Peter - so the bottom drains you speak of DO NOT HAVE any caps on them and are precisely where the water comes out. It collects inside the door and when opened and given the chance to find it's way out IT DUMPS INSIDE THE CARGO area and all over my head and whatever else is inside - after a few experiences I now get a vessel to catch the water - I can hear it slushing around. I will test with a hose to see if it is the "window trim" or if it's coming from the gap that is between the roof and the door - I googled and youtubed my brain out specifically for answers, but nobody has what I have - they've got floor leaks and sunroof leaks - but I don't have any interior showers until the door opens and see exactly where it's coming from - Let me know if you have any better idea or thought - the answer you provided is what I'd mentioned in my ? initially - I KNOW WHERE ITS LEAKING BUT NEED TO FIND WHERE it"s getting in and move from there. HELP!

I m flying some what blind here, just wondering if you could send some pics of the location your taking about as this would help. Also does your vehicle have a sun roof? Does any water come into the interior of the vehicle with the door closed?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I have some videos of it actually leaking - but they are too big and not sending from my phone to email and I don't have a dropbox account - I will take photo of exactly where it's coming from - how do I send it - NO NO NO IT DOES NOT COME INSIDE WITH DOOR CLOSED ONLY WHEN OPEN AND YES I DO HAVE A SUN ROOF BUT NO LEAKING EVIDENT AT ALL! I mentioned I see plenty of repairs for that but it's NOT my problem -

You can send videos via u tube link and pictures as an attachment on this sight.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thanks Peter - I'll have to "create an account" and somehow do it from my phone - because as stated I cannot email it from my phone to the computer - so it'll be a while - I've got loads on my plate and will need to do this in the next day or so - very busy - thank you -

that's ok , I will check in time to time on your notes

Peter Bagley
Peter Bagley, Auto Service Technician
Peter Bagley
Peter Bagley
Peter Bagley, Auto Service Technician