Toyota

Have Toyota Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

We just bought a 2007 Prius. After driving it home and

We just bought a...

We just bought a 2007 Prius. After driving it home and travelling 150 miles the first day, things were fine. The next day the Red triangle with exclamation mark has started coming on intermittently and erratically. What does that mean?

Mechanic's Assistant: Will the headlights turn on? Is the battery fully charged?

The headlights seemed fine and the battery is charged.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Prius yourself? What have you tried so far?

I tried disconnecting the negative lead to the battery and reattaching it.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Yesterday, the yellow engine symbol was on when the red triangle began going on. Since disconnecting the battery, the yellow engine symbol has not gone on, just the red triangle.

3/4/2018
john
john, The Car Guy

Have you scanned for codes??? That is the tell tale for a hybrid battery failure... Pulling codes would confirm

Will I need to take the car in to have codes scanned?

Yes because a basic code reader will not access hybrid codes....but the writing is on the wall for hybrid battery failure

Hope you can rate my service 5 star

john
john, The Car Guy