Toyota

Have Toyota Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

98 camry srs light is flashing a steady continuous flash.

98 camry srs light...

98 camry srs light is flashing a steady continuous flash. Both front bags and belts have been replaced and module has been repaired by Air Bag Systems.I have done the reset procedure at the DLC1 connector at the right shock tower. What am I missing?

Mechanic's Assistant: Is anything interfering with the seatbelt latch?

I just rechecked both of them and they worked perfectly.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Camry yourself? What have you tried so far?

I'm a retired professional tech but not a Toyota tech. I've done what I mentioned so far. The light is not flashing a code. It's a steady flash with the key on.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

I have an OBD2 scanner but not a srs scanner.

2/25/2018
Peter Bagley
Peter Bagley, Auto Service Technician

Hello and welcome to just answer, my name is ***** ***** master tech of over 40 years experience here to help. I cannot see or hear your vehicle so I rely on your patience and input to my questions so I can help you better.I have read your notes and have a question before we proceed.

It would be beneficial to have it properly scanned for body codes as this would give us direction to go, as it could be anything from a sensor to seat detection circuits.

I will be back on tomorrow ro further communicate with you.

The car was hit in the front just hard enough to set the front bags off. The side bags did not deploy. I installed used bags and belts from a salvage yard and had the module repaired. Does the clock spring have to be replaced after a deployment? Would you provide the component troubleshooting data so I can determine where the failure is? THANKS JIM

aw did you also replace the front impact sensors?

Here's the vin:4t1bg28kxwu278357. My local dealer told me that it did not have the sensors at the front of the frame, but instead frontal impacts were recognized by a switch in the module. Would you verify that? Does the clock spring have to be replaced after a deployment? Thanks Peter.

Will check all that for you today.

Peter, what did you find out about the srs sensors on my car with respect to the VIN? Also, I've done the "display codes" and "clear codes" processes numerous times now. The light still flashes on/off approximately every 2 seconds when the key is on{that's on 2 seconds, off 2 seconds, on 2 seconds, off 2 seconds, etc}.

sorry about that I guess I should be more organized, will have answer in about 15-20 min.

So what this boils down to is it is telling you the the srs system is picking up a trouble code that you will need to retrieve so we can proceed further, I gave you also the trouble code chart. As far as they say only the sensors for any deployed air bags must be replaced, only if the center airbag deployed then the clock spring will need replacing.

I replaced the steering wheel bag and the passenger bag on the top, right of the dash. What bag are you referring to as the center bag? Thanks for the troubleshooting info.

no those air bags are the ones , Now you need to pull up the fault codes and we can go further into this as that's what needs to be done next.

I jumped the TC and E1 circuits at the DLC1, under the hood. When the key is turned to the ON position the SRS light stays on for 6 seconds, then it goes out and stays out. It does not flash any codes and it does not flash the "NORMAL" code{11 or 31}. The ABS and CRUISE lights flash rapidly, if that means anything.

I don't think that was good to do as when you have two test connectors you have to use the latest on so I don't know what happened there I would have to re check the wiring circuits.

That's the procedure for reading the codes using a jumper wire, per the diagnostic procedures that you sent. Since no codes will display, what's the next step?

sorry getting back so late, did you check for a obd connector under the dash driver's side if yours has one there then that's the one we need to use with a good code reader capable of reading body codes. There was a production year that had both connectors as it was a transition to OBD11 so when ever you had two you should use the newr one to test with.let me know

It's OBD2. I'll try a different scanner.

yup

I've ordered a new scanner. It should be in this week. I'll get those results to you shortly after. THANKS for sticking with it.
After talking to my local dealer, it looks like the module wasn't properly repaired. I'll be sending it back for proper repairs and then i'll be back in touch with you.

That's why I always recommend a new or even used one as we had a lot of issues with refurbished ones. Keep me posted.

Peter Bagley
Peter Bagley, Auto Service Technician
Peter; after getting my new scanner I confirmed that there were no trouble codes stored in the system. I was about to send the module back to Texas to have it checked again, when I decided to try one last test. I reinstalled the module, scanned it again{no codes}, disconnected the drivers' seat side bag and started the car. This, of course should have set a trouble code. When I scanned it again I had the drivers' side squib code. I corrected the fault and when I erased the code the light went out and it has worked correctly since. Apparently, creating a code and erasing it had a reactivating effect on the module. That's the information I needed from the start. Were you aware of this reactivating process? Is this standard procedure?

yes but your only going through the Ecu not the sensor assembly as this is where the problem may be.

The problem was the continuously flashing srs light even though there were no codes or faults. So far the light has not come back on other than the 6 second check upon starting, as it is supposed to. Regardless, I'm thankful for your assistance on the issue.
I was going to offer a rating for your assistance but somebody already did it. Thanks again.