Toyota

Have Toyota Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Toyota

I’m getting vibration/shuddering while at high

Hi! : ) I’m...

Hi! : ) I’m getting vibration/shuddering while at high speed(40-75mph). I’ve had the tires balanced twice to be sure.

Mechanic's Assistant: How old are the tires? And have they been a problem in the past?

They are nearly new. Pirelli’s with 5k on them. If I get off the gas, the vibration goes away. It’s only when the engine is working, like on up-slopes, but goes away when I head downhill for a few seconds. On flat terrain, it vibrates till I get off the gas pedal

Mechanic's Assistant: What year is your Terrain?

Terrain? I have a 2002 Toyota Camry

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Terrain yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes. Unless it’s a torque converter. In the last year, all struts, tires and motor mounts have been replaced

1/24/2018
Fixitman
Fixitman, Master Technician

Hello my name is***** are two things that usually cause this on your vehicle. It is usually either the motor mounts or a failing axle. Most of the time it is the engine mounts that have gone bad and have worn out the inner joint of one of the cv axles. If you have replaced the mounts and it it still occurring then you need either one or both of the axles. I would usually get the vehicle in the air and see which inner cv joint is looser. Do this by pushing up and down on it. If one is substantially looser than the other then that is the problem. If they are both loose then they both need to be replaced. I hope this helps. Please let me know if you need anything else.

Customer reply replied 29 days ago
Thank you Bobby.
Your answer makes sense. I can do that.
If I may ask a question, would the vibration disappear when I get off the gas and on downhills when the load is off? With axles, I would have guessed (just a guess) that the axles are still turning at high speed and therefore would still vibrate. I don’t know though since I’ve never had this or addressed it

Depending on the load it will change. Different driving conditions put a torsional load on the axles and it is when the speed is more constant that the vibration stops.

Fixitman
Fixitman, Master Technician
Customer reply replied 29 days ago
Gotcha. ��
I am asking questions b side I’d like to fix it the first time. Because...last year, a check engine light and low idle resulted in Toyota going from throttle body to fuel pump to fuel rail to prv to coil and it seemed like the dealership was guessing.
This time I’d like to hopefully order the parts go one-and-done. I had guessed torque converter just because it seemed logical and working with turbines(gas and nuclear) it made sense at first.
Since you are a Toyota mechanic and have seen this problem before, I trust your experience and knowledge.
Oh...and on the highway if I’m on a long left turning curve it goes away. On right hand long curves of the road it still vibrates
Phone call session started
Fixitman
Fixitman
Fixitman, Master Technician