Toyota

Have Toyota Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

2007 Toyota 4 Runner possibly in need of new differential…

2007 Toyota 4 Runner possibly...
2007 Toyota 4 Runner possibly in need of new differential carrier bearing.
Told by dealership this model does not have a carrier bearing. I believe this to be wrong.
Do you concur?
If not, can you please advise an approximate price for replacement.
I live in South Texas, below Houston.
Thank you.
1/23/2018
Todd M
Todd M, ASE Certified Technician

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I will be assisting you today. Is the vehicle 2WD or 4WD? Also, what is the engine size?

Sorry Todd, can't say other than I believe a V8.

Not a problem. Give me just a moment, please.

Sure.

I understand.

You are correct. This vehicle does have carrier bearings(also called side bearings). Here, I am attaching the information that you have requested. I have attached the part and labor information for the carrier bearings. Although, the labor information is listed in the differential case labor information. I am thinking that you will be charged for 2-3 hour worth of work for the carrier/side bearings. The labor pricing is listed in hours and depends on the hourly rate of the shop.

If you require more information on this issue and/or are not satisfied, let me know, please, and I will attempt to assist you further on this. I hope this information points you in the right direction. If you have any further questions or concerns on this issue, feel free to ask. If you are satisfied, and have found this information helpful, a positive rating would be greatly appreciated and necessary in order for experts to receive credit for answers provided. Thank you.

A positive rating does not close the session. We will still be able to communicate, and I will still continue to assist you with this issue as needed.

Todd M
Todd M, ASE Certified Technician
Pardon my ignorance, but the difference between the $450.00 and $55.00?

The pricing that you are looking for are the carrier bearings.($55) the differential case is only there because the labor hours for the side bearings are listed on that page. Do not worry about the $450.

The complete differential case is listed as $450. Not the bearings.

Thank you for the rating.

Great. Thank you. Tipping still allowed?

I am not sure. If so, that is appreciated. If not, I will catch you the next time.

Have a great night.