Toyota

Have Toyota Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

08 Toyota RAV4 4WD V6 155700 miles I've worked with Ted

08 Toyota RAV4 4WD V6 155700...
08 Toyota RAV4 4WD V6
155700 milesHello,I've worked with Ted Ritter, Skyvisions & Genchi Genbutsu in the past. But any technician can probably answer this question if none of them are readily available.I hate to be the one to ask a stupid question about something procedure related but just want to make sure I'm on the right track.I'm in the process of removing front brake rotors in order to get them resurfaced. I started on the left side & removed both the caliper & the caliper support plate with the brake pads.The rotor is stuck on solid & won't budge. Since I'm in Oregon where it likes to rain, I'm presuming it just got rusty on the lug nut threats & bonded itself. I sprayed rust penetrant in the lug nut holes & have hit the crown of the rotor with a hammer a few times but none of that is making any difference.My next step, which I'm ready to try, is to take it off with a puller. Before I do that, I want to confirm that I do NOT need to remove the large lock nut on the driveaxle in front of the rotor. I had assumed that wasn't necessary, but looking at it closer, it seems so flush to the rotor I'm doubting myself a bit. Obviously I don't want to waste time removing it if I don't need to, but also don't want to apply a puller if that locknut does need to come off first in order to remove the rotor. I'd appreciate if you could advise either way so I know I'm on the right track. Or if there's a better way to remove those rotors, let me know too.Thank you in advance!
1/22/2018
carguy1
carguy1, auto technician

Thank you for your question!
My name is ***** ***** give me a moment to review your question and type my reply. Thanks

First, make sure the screws are out of the face of the rotor. This is a hat rotor and the nut on the axle doesn't have to come off, but they do put screws in the face of the rotor to keep it from coming off when it's going down the assembly line.

If they are gone, then what I do is take a hammer and hit the face of the rotor between the lug studs to get it to pop off. Using a puller might work, but can also damage and crack the rotor. By face I do not mean where the pads ride, but where the rotor contacts the hub surface.

Usually a couple good hits will pop it free.

Please let me know if there is anything else I can do to help.
Just Answer does not compensate me for my time and resources, so please rate my answer by using the stars at the top of the page. Payment for your question includes any follow-up questions you may have. Free trials and subscription questions still require ratings. Your question does not close after you rate. You will still be able to contact me.
Thank you so much!

Thanks so much. I didn't even think to look for screws so I'm glad I checked. I'll look for those & then try again with your suggestions and will let you know how it goes.

You are very welcome! I know if they are the original rotors they might just have them on there.

I just bought the vehicle a few years ago & think the prior owner must have replaced them as I looked carefully and didn't see any screws.So I applied more Toyota rust penetrant and hit it with a hammer where you said to. Several impact blows with the hammer and it started to wiggle, more pulling & hitting and it's finally off.I'm moving on to the right side now. Hopefully easier but if it doesn't want to cooperate at least I know what to do now. I'll let you know how it goes & will also accept and rate this evening too. Thanks for all your help thus far!

Great! Glad it's working. I live in NY and deal with this stuff all the time. We love road salt here!

Figured i would check and see how you are making out?

Thanks for checking in. Good news, both front rotors are off & just dropped them off at the machine shop for resurfacing. The right side was no easier than the left but finally came out after rotating between spraying rust penetrant & hammer strikes. I think I used my hammer more today than all of 2017.Thanks again for all your help. I think installation will be much easier than removal. I will accept & leave a very positive rating when I get home later tonight.

Glad to hear it worked. Nice that they did finally pop off and I am sure it will go back together a lot easier.

Have a good night!

carguy1
carguy1, auto technician
Thanks again for your help. Resurfaced rotors are back on the car. Hope you have a good night too!
carguy1
carguy1
carguy1, auto technician