Toyota

Have Toyota Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Toyota

2002 Tqcoma fan won't work. Tacoma 4 dr 4x4. Replaced the…

2002 Tqcoma fan won't...

2002 Tqcoma fan won't work

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model of your '02 Toyota?

Tacoma 4 dr 4x4

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Tacoma yourself? What have you tried so far?

Replaced the fan motor

Mechanic's Assistant: How many miles are on the car? Is it an automatic or a manual transmission?

208,xxx automatic

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Not that I know of... is there a charge for this?

Mechanic's Assistant: You just pay a $5 deposit now and the rest only when you get a reply from the Toyota Mechanic. All of this is 100% satisfaction guaranteed, so you can get a refund if you're not happy for any reason.

I might be back, gonna try a couple suggestions I've found online

1/21/2018
Pete, Auto Service Technician

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

Did you do any electrical testing at all to try and locate the fault?

Let me know,thanks Pete.

Customer reply replied 29 days ago
That's my problem, I don't know where to test... I do have an ohmmeter but can't find out what I should read, also I don't know where it's located

Can you tell me what liter engine is in your model here?

Customer reply replied 29 days ago
Can't remember, it's the 6 cylinder
I'll go out to it in a few minutes... I didn't expect this kind of response

If you can post the engine liter size here this will help.And to be sure this is the heater fan am I correct?

Customer reply replied 29 days ago
3.4 liter and it is the heater fan

Thank you, ***** ***** looking up some info now.

Does it work on high speed/setting 5 at all?

Customer reply replied 29 days ago
no

Check the 10 amp AC fuse in the under hood fuse panel and make sure it is o.k.If it is blown it will cause this issue needing replaced.This is the fuse panel under the hood on the driver's side.

If found to be o.k. let me know here so we can continue.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service, your 5-star rating is appreciated ( should be a link to click on here or above).You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.I work on delivering the best answer and help here but in some cases, it can be difficult to do without seeing the vehicle.

Thanks Pete

Customer reply replied 29 days ago
fuse checks good

O.k., the blue wire with black stripe at the blower fan motor should have a ground signal at all times.Set the meter you have to DC volts and test to see if the black wire with white stripe has power with the key on.If it does test the blue wire with black stripe to see if it has a ground signal with the key on and heater set at any speed.

I suspect you will have power since the fuse is good and the issue will be the heater/blower switch on the dash.This is part of the heater/ac control assembly.It should have a ground signal on the blue wire with black stripe wire when on high speed and if there is no ground then the heater/ac control assembly has to be replaced.

Let me know if you need anything else and feel free to rate my help here or above ( should be a link to click on ) as this is how I receive credit for my time, this can be done at any time and you can still come back here and reply if needed.Your 5-star rating is appreciated

Thanks Pete

Customer reply replied 29 days ago
white wire black stripe?
if so, no voltage

What color wires are you seeing at the fan motor connection?Are you seeing a white wire with black stripe at the fan motor connection?

Customer reply replied 29 days ago
I do have the blue wire with black stripe
then there's a white wire with black stripe
Both of these appear to be #14
There are 2 others that are smaller, both blue
one with yellow and one with red stripes

Is this at the blower fan motor connection itself you see all of these wires?

Customer reply replied 29 days ago
it is at the connection itself

That is odd as my info is not showing these wires.Can you confirm to me the year and model of this vehicle again?

Customer reply replied 29 days ago
2002 tacoma
vin 5TEHN72N72Z062293

O.k. it is the blue wire with black stripe that should have a ground signal with the blower speed set to high and key on or engine running.If it does not have a ground signal on this wire then the heater/ac control on the dash needs replaced.Now if it has a ground check and makes sure the 10 amp Gauge fuse in the driver's side under dash fuse panel is good as well as the 50 amp Heater fuse in the driver's side engine area fuse panel.If these are good then the heater relay needs replaced which is also located where the 50 amp Heater fuse is located on that fuse panel.

Thanks Pete

Customer reply replied 29 days ago
I replaced the relay sometime back but will do so again
I'm starting to think it's the controller myself
Thanks for your help
Is there a transcript of this conversation available?

You're welcome

The only place you can see this I believe is here.You may be able to print it off.

Thanks Pete

Pete, Auto Service Technician
Pete, Auto Service Technician