Toyota

Have Toyota Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Toyota

I have a 2005 Toyota Sienna and the brake are not working…

Customer Question
Hi I have a...

Hi I have a 2005 Toyota Sienna and the brake are not working properly. The the brake lights don’t turn on when I press on the brake and the passenger brake light stays on the whole time the lights are on also the shift release doesn’t work with the brake pedal it only works if turn on the lights but won’t function at by pressing the brake pedal.

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the brake fluid? How's the level and when was it last changed?

I meant to say brake lights

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Sienna yourself? What have you tried so far?

I’ve changed the brake switch and it made no difference and the fuse is good I changed twice just in case the fuse was faulty

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Not that I can think of

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Toyota
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Hi I have a 2005 Toyota Sienna and the brake lights are not working properly. The the brake lights don’t turn on when I press on the brake and the passenger brake light stays on the whole time the lights are on also the shift release doesn’t work with the brake pedal it only works if turn on the lights butwon’t function at by pressing the brake pedal.
1/21/2018
Toyota Mechanic: tims auto repair, mechanic replied 1 month ago
tims auto repair

Hi, My name is ***** ***** for the delay.
I will do my best to assist you.

first, lets try something simple,,

Remove both battery cables from the battery, turn on the ignition, touch and hold both the - and the + cables together for 5 seconds, turn off the ignition, then re-install them back to the battery

if that doesnt fix your problem,,i would think you have a bad multi-function[signal light] switch

blob:https://my.alldata.com/c101abc7-8891-48b6-9e16-b320633c6046

https://my.alldata.com/c101abc7-8891-48b6-9e16-b320633c6046

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
How would that make a difference with the brake lights?

the van uses the combination switch to separate the signal lights from the brake lights sense they use the same bulbs,,,sometimes these switches can burn up on the inside of them and cause this and other problems

tims auto repair
tims auto repair
tims auto repair, mechanic