Toyota

Have Toyota Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

1 cylinder misfire. the car is studering only at low rpms.

1 cylinder misfire....

1 cylinder misfire. the car is studering only at low rpms

Mechanic's Assistant: How many miles are on the car? Is it a steady misfire? Or random?

240k miles steady

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Toyota?

2001 Camry

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Camry yourself? What have you tried so far?

New #1 cylinder coil; set of plugs and wires

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

The car is due for the timing chain replacement in 15k miles.

Answered in 1 minute by:
1/21/2018
Edward
Edward, ASE Certified Technician

Hello, and thanks for your question. My name is ***** ***** I will do all I can to help.

Are you getting a P0301 code that keeps coming back even if you clear it? thank you.

Alright, have you checked compression in that cylinder yet? and compared it to the others?

No haven't done that. Whats the thought and rational?

Alright, Should be at least 140 psi, and not more than 15 lbs or so off from the others. Really these run around 170 from what I've seen. If all that looks good, I would maybe swap number 1 and number 2 injectors and see if then the code moved from p0301 to p0302. Have you put a spark tester on the plug and made sure the coil was actually firing the plug?

Is there potential that injector cleaner could fix this? Daughter is leaving with it to go back to college early morning. She'll be back in 6 weeks.

Yes, there is a potential there that an injector may fix it, if it is the injector itself failing or it's really dirty. But I really wouldn't recommend you put a new injector in it or swap them to see if the code moved until checking compression first.

Ok ill take your advice at my next opportunity. If the cylinder pressures are considerably off, that means the car is dying??? Probably not work further repair?????

it would definitely point to internal issues, including rings, or valves, pistons issues, if compression is suffering. If compression is good however, I would look to the injectors next. and then if that didn't bear any resolution, I would have to go to the ECM next not firing the coil like it should at all times, but that would be rare. I believe your problem is likely one or the other I previously mentioned.

At 240K though, it is possible there is some internal engine wear. Let us know if you have any further questions. Thank you and best wishes.

Thanks for your help. Much appreciated.

Absolutely, If your all set please don't forget to rate the question via one of the star icons at the top of the page. If you need to ask us anything else just let us know. Thank you and best wishes.

Edward
Edward, ASE Certified Technician
Edward
Edward
Edward, ASE Certified Technician