Toyota

Have Toyota Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Toyota

I have changed basically everything like the idle Air

I have changed basically...

I have changed basically everything like the idle Air Control Valve, tps, camshaft position sensor, crankshaft position sensor, coolant temperature sensor, fuel pump,fuel injectors, fuel filter and hardware, the ECU, COIL PACK, SPARKPLUGS AND WIRES. THE CAR STILL WONT START?

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you certain it's the fuel pressure sensor that's in need of attention? What about the fuel rail? Have you checked it yet?

I have and cleaned it as good as I can.

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Toyota?

It's a 1995 Toyota Tercel DX 1.5liter 2dr coupe automatic

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Tercel yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes I am, I have done so much to it, I replaced all the sensors, fuel pump,fuel injectors, etc

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

When I turn the ignition on it takes a long time to fire up

1/21/2018
Toyota Service
Toyota Service, Toyota Expert

Hello. Welcome to Just Answer. Please allow me to assist you. When you say you turn the ignition on and it takes a long time to fire up, are you saying that it cranks and cranks and cranks, but eventually does start?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
At one point it did. Now it's taking longer

Since you replaced all of these parts yourself, it sounds like you are familiar with engines. I suspect fuel pressure is the issue here. Do you have the ability to measure fuel pressure?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I can't call now, but if you have any idea what can be causing this please I need your help... The only things I didn't upgrade is the timing belt?
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I had an oil leak on one of the seal behind the timing belt cover. Can the timing be off and could this be the problem?
Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager

HI,

I see you requested a new expert.

To answer your question, yes, if the timing belt jumps a tooth or more it will create a hard start condition and in some cases a no start condition as the valves are not opening and closing at proper time to achieve full combustion in the cylinders.

A cam or crank seal oil leak will quickly saturate the belt causing it to stretch some which allows enough play in it to jump timing.

I would suggest pulling the timing cover and check timing and replace the timing belt and leaking seal if the timing is indeed off

I have attached the timing marks diagrams in case you need it

If for any reason, you can't rate my answer OKAY, GOOD, or EXCELLENT/3 STARS OR HIGHER today. Please reply and let me know why, so I can help more/better. All follow up responses are FREE, after completing the required rating

Please remember to rate service using the separate pop up rating page. Thank you

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I didn't request a new expert, unless I hit by accident as I fell asleep. I do apologise for the error.

HI

It does show you did. If you would like the original expert back, I will need to temporarily close the question and send an email to customer service to undo the opt out so the original expert can see the question again and respond

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
No it's ok you have given me a bright light to my problem. Stay my friend

HI,

Ok, no problem.

Any other question on this, or do you want to check the timing at this point and then go from there if the timing is ok

Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I would like to go on what you just explained to here on the timing.

Ok, check the timing and if it is ok, let me know and will go from there, but I do suspect it has jumped.

I am here everyday from around 7am MST to 9pm MST in case you need further help on this

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
It is a true pleasure...

you are welcome and always happy to help

Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager