Toyota

Have Toyota Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

I have a 2006 toyota highlander hybrid. my daughter had an…

I have a 2006...

I have a 2006 toyota highlander hybrid. my daughter had an accident that caused damage to the passenger side fender and the front bumper. she was able to drive it home and put it in the garage. it sat for about a week. now it won't start at all. completely dead, not a sound not a light turns on. I thought I would a least put it in N and push it out of the garage but I can't even change gears. Is there anything I can do? I tried to jump it but nothing happened.

Mechanic's Assistant: How old is the transmission? Have you checked the brake switch?

What break switch.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Highlander Hybrid yourself? What have you tried so far?

No I just wanted to drive it to the auto body shop for an estimate when I discovered it wouldn't start

1/20/2018
Toyota Service
Toyota Service, Toyota Expert

Hello. Welcome to Just Answer. Please allow me to assist you. All Toyota hybrid vehicles have 2 batteries. The main battery for moving the vehicle, and another, more traditional, battery to power up all of the electronics to cause the main battery to start to supply power. Most likely, the smaller battery under the hood is weak, or the impact caused damage to the internal plates of the battery. You could try to jump it, but, if this is the original battery under the hood, I would replace it.

If you have any questions, please reply. Please do confirm that you have received my input. Thanks!

I already tried to jump it and i didn't even get an interior light on inside the car
That answer didn't help. i put in my description
that I had tried to jump it.
are you still there? I was under the impression i could ask more questions

That depends a lot on how you tried to jump it. These batteries cannot be jumped in the traditional way

a 2 amp trickle charger is the correct procedure to reintroduce current, then attempt to jump.

i hooked up my 06 chevy uplander and let it run for about 20 to 30 min.
would that do the same as a trickle charger?

No. Too many amps.

2 amps. No more.

If the battery is recoverable (it may not be), 2 amp trickle charge for 1 hour than attempt to jump.If this is the original underhood battery, replace it.

I'm not sure how old the battery is. I'll see if there's a date on it. we bought the care used. I do believe we have a battery charger. I'll give it a try when I get home from work tonight. thanks My husband died last may and he was the car expert in the household. do battery chargers have more than one setting on them?

I am sorry to hear about your Husband's passing. Not all "home" chargers have the needed 2 amp "trickle" setting. These batteries are rather different than traditional vehicles, because of how this battery is charged by the hybrid system. A fast charge can actually do more internal damage, and not allow a charge..

as long as it says 12 volts or 2 amps will it work?

12 volts and 2 amps. Yes.

thanks I'm certain i have the correct one. I'll give it a try when I get home tonight. do I have to take the battery out of the car?

No. but do take both battery cables off of the battery.

ok thanks

You are very welcome.

Thanks for choosing Just Answer. It was a pleasure to assist you. I trust my input is satisfactory and meets your expectations. A positive rating for my assistance on your request would be greatly appreciated; thanks again and have a great day

Toyota Service
Toyota Service, Toyota Expert