Toyota

Have Toyota Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

My radio in my 2014 Rav4 won't turn on or off. The screen…

My radio in my...

My radio in my 2014 Rav4 won't turn on or off. The screen looks like it is trying to reboot but gets to a certain point then stops and starts again.

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the fuse?

No. why would that help

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your RAV4 yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes myself. I haven't tried anything. the back up camera still works but the radio and hands free doesn't.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

It shows a picture of the radio on the screen and then a line down below it that looks like a computer trying to reboot

1/21/2018
nelson freitas

Hello, and thanks for using JustAnswer, my name is ***** ***** I have been an Automotive Technician for over 15 years, and currently working at a Toyota dealership.

I will look into this for you. I believe I know of a service bulletin that describes this type of problem. Let me double check, but you may need a new radio unit. Is the Rav still under warranty?

I don’t think it is under warranty.

The service bulletin I was thinking of recommends a software update, but that wont help with your problem.

You are correct. The screen you are seeing is the radio reboot or initial start up screen. if you can see that and the rear view camera is working, then all power and grounds should be ok. I am very ceratin I have fixed this same issue once before, and that was by replacing the audio unit. I would suggest going to the dealership having it diagnosed properly and also ask about the radio exchange program.

With the radio exchange program you can get a replacement audio unit at a much lower rate than purchasing a brand new one. we recommend it to all of our customers.

When I talked to my Toyota dealer today they didn’t mention that there was an exchange program. They want $115 to diagnose and said a new radio was $1400

I would suggest allowing them to diagnose it just to confirm that it is the audio unit. and its possible that the person you spoke to isn't aware of the exchange program. I know that our service manager gets involved with all of the radio exchanges that are made. Maybe ask to speak with the manager if the advisers are not aware of it.

I would only assume that if it is available here in Canada that it would also be available to any US dealerships as well.

nelson freitas