Toyota

Have Toyota Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Toyota

My 2002 landcrusier just starting acting up- turns over but…

My 2002 landcrusier just...

My 2002 landcrusier just starting acting up- turns over but will not start. I disconnected battery cables let sit for 30 minutes before reconnecting. pulled all fuses associated with fuel system and reset as they all looked good. started up nicely after doing all above. 2 days later did same thing, this time only pulled main ECD relay but back and started back up. Now 3 days later same thing turns over will not start. I pulled ECD and reset but will not start. Any ideas?

Mechanic's Assistant: How many miles are on the car? Has the car been starting normally?

230000

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model of your '02 Toyota?

Landcrusier

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes to date i was. i detailed ll i have done above

1/20/2018
Toyota Service
Toyota Service, Toyota Expert

Hello. Welcome to Just Answer. Please allow me to assist you. I suspect a fuel pump issue here. I recommend you do not do anything right now. What I do recommend is letting site long enough to cause the problem to reoccur. When it cranks and does not start, keep cranking it. Don't press on the accelerator pedal, just crank it. If it starts up after a minute, minute and a half of cranking (maybe more), the inline check valve in the fuel pump is faulty. This is a mechanical device that holds fuel in the fuel pipes when the engine is off. When it fails, all of the fuel drains out of the piping back to the tank. The extended cranking time is what is needed to cause the fuel to reach the engine again. If it starts after a long crank period, replace the fuel pump.

If you have any questions, please feel free to reply. Please do take a moment to confirm that the system has transmitted my input to you today. Thanks!

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
okay i tried cranking for 1.5 minutes with no sign of starting.

Do you smell fuel at the tailpipe? Raw gasoline?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
the exhaust has smelled awful of late
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
i will keep it to the chat

Sounds to me like you may have fuel injectors that are leaking off, causing the spark plugs to foul out. A good can of Fuel injector cleaner is recommended as your next step. I recommend a really good product manufactured by the BG Corporation. This chemical is called 'BG 44-K'. Excellent stuff. A bit hard to find, but, the BG company has a website (www.bgprod.com) that has a screen where you input your zipcode and the site tells you where your nearest dealer is. Well worth the price of the cleaner. Put a can in the tank (around 1/2 full) and drive it. This will clean any debris holding the injectors a tiny bit open which allows fuel to seep out when the engine is off.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
okay thanks I will try that. So its probably not the main ECD relay. Probably just a coincidence that it started right up after i took it out and then put it back in. Yes?

i agree

Toyota Service
Toyota Service, Toyota Expert
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
any advice as how i can get it started so I can go get this cleaner?

You might try to crank it with the EFI fuse removed.

Toyota Service
Toyota Service
Toyota Service, Toyota Expert