Toyota

Have Toyota Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

I have a 2003 Toyota Echo and I have the P0441/P0440/P0446…

Hi I have a...

Hi I have a 2003 Toyota Echo and I have the P0441/P0440/P0446 and P0500 coming up failing on my emissions. What is the average cost to get these fixed through a repair shop?

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Echo yourself? What have you tried so far?

I am not fixing the car myself. I haven't really tried anything yet because I just got these codes.

Mechanic's Assistant: Just to clarify, what's the exact code? And have you tried to reset it?

I have 4 different codes. P0441- P0440 - P0446- P0500. No I have not tried to reset anything. I wouldn't even know where to reset these.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

No I think I am good. Thanks :)

1/19/2018
Ron Z.
Ron Z., - Toyota Tech -

Hi! Welcome to JustAnswer. Thanks for coming! I'm Ron and I'll be working with you on your question today.

Will you be having a Dealer or a local shop make these repairs?

Hi Ron. I will be having a local shop make the repairs.

Ok, Great! Thank-you! Please give me one moment to type out some info for you. Sit tight one minute... I'll be right back!

Thanks

Thanks for holding!

Ok- Let's start with the 440/441/446. These are all related and point to a problem in the EVAP (emissions control/recovery) System. Unfortunately, no easy, 1-answer here. There are a few different things that can set these codes together, so some testing will need to be done. These codes set when there is a problem with the VSV (vacuum switching valve) for EVAP, the VSV for Pressure Switching or the Vapor Pressure Sensor. So, each will need to be tested. SO- figure 1 hour for Labor for the testing here. Then, when found, the VSV's sell for roughly $65-$85 each and the Vapor Pressure Sensor roughly $85-$105. The Labor Time Guide calls for just about an hour to replace any one of them.

The P0500 is pointing to a fault with the Vehicle Speed Sensor. Again, some testing on the circuit will need to be done. But more commonly, it's just the sensor itself. The VSS sells fro around $248 and the Labor Time Guide calls for just over a half-hour to replace.

Labor rates vary from shop to shop, so what you pay for labor will effect the bot***** *****ne. For a job of this type, a "fair" labor rate can be anywhere from $85-$125 per hour.

Please be kind enough to leave a rating for our Q&A using the 'stars' at the top of the page when I have answered all your questions. A 5-star rating is very much appreciated! Rating my answer does not cost you extra.

Ron Z.
Ron Z., - Toyota Tech -
Thank you Ron for your help. This was a big help to me. I am giving you 5 stars!

You're welcome! Glad I could be of some help today! Have a great weekend!

Ron Z.
Ron Z.
Ron Z., - Toyota Tech -