Toyota

Have Toyota Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

I have a 1996 Toyota 4Runner and my husband tried to

I have a 1996...

I have a 1996 Toyota 4Runner and my husband tried to replaced the battery. The horn started going off and now won’t start. We removed the fuse for the battery to stop the honking. I read a forum that said the push the red button on dash but ours can’t be pushed. I removed the panel und r the light and there’s a toggled. I pushed and flipped it but nothing. Help

Mechanic's Assistant: Just to clarify, what are the exact lights you're talking about?

Well, it’s a little red light next to the steering wheel on the left.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your 4Runner yourself? What have you tried so far?

Just what I stated. Above.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Not that I can think of

Answered in 1 minute by:
1/19/2018
Tim Mohr, ASE MASTER TECH

Hi, my name is ***** ***** the horn honking, can you use the key in the drivers door, and lock it and unlock it with the key and see if the horn stops blowing?

Well I removed the fuse so the honking has stopped

You need to put the fuse back in, this has to be done while the alarm is going off.

Fuse is in. Now what

ok,is the horn blowing?

The horn didn’t stop with doing that

is the horn blowing right now????

I I tightened the battery so it’s not now. My husband was changing the battery when the horn started honking and now the vehicle won’t start and horn won’t stop unless the battery is disconnected.
I untightened the battery. Sorry

Ok, you are not understanding me, you need to hook up the battery, and while the horn is blowing, use the key in the drivers door, and lock and unlock the door, this should make the horn stop blowing,Tim

I did that and the horn continued. I can try again.

try it again, if it does not stop blowing, then there is an after market alarm system on it, and it will need to be disconnected,Tim

I tried again and it didn’t work. How do I disconnect that.

you will have to find the alarm module, it can be mounted anywhere, but usually it under the driverside dash,Tim

Found it. Do I just disconnect the wires from it?

No, you need to follow the wires, 2 of them will go to a starter wire, you need to disconnect these wires and repair the wire they are tied into, this will disable the alarm and allow it to start,Tim

Thank you. I found the clicker and was able to get it to work and was able to disarm the alarm. My negative connection on the battery wouldn’t stay tight either. It’s up and running now and the horn is off!! Thank you very much. I didn’t know that it had an after market alarm!!!

Anytime my friend, please dont forget to rate me, so I can get credit for helping, thanks,Tim

Tim Mohr, ASE MASTER TECH