Toyota

Have Toyota Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Toyota

I was driving truck the other day and it was cold outside it…

Customer Question
Hello I was driving...

Hello I was driving truck the other day and it was cold outside it started ran for about 15min.then I turned it off and it wouldn't start after

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the battery, particularly the terminal connections? Are they corroded?

Not really however it acts like it wants to start however

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Toyota?

98 Toyota Tacoma

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Tacoma yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes, I. Haven't tried much just checked fuses and

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Really never had trouble with truck and would it have anything to do with unusually cold weather

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Toyota
1/18/2018
Toyota Mechanic: Tim Mohr, ASE MASTER TECH replied 1 month ago
Tim Mohr, ASE MASTER TECH

Hi, my name is ***** ***** sounds like it flooded out, if you put the gas pedal all the way to the floor, and hold it there when cranking, will it eventually start, this is the clear flood mode?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
No it won't and I put more gas checked head lights turn on so don't think it is the battery I,towed it to advanced Auto do you think they can put it on computer
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I'm not at truck now however do you think fuel pump could go out that way

when you say it wont start, does the starter turn over but it does not run, or does the starter not even turn?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
No the starter is turning however it will not run

if it was a fuel pump problem, you can verify this by spraying carb cleaner into the intake and see if it fires briefly, if it does, then its a fuel problem,Tim

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I'm going to go to truck and see if fires if so do you think there is any chance it isn't the fuel pump and something like a relay

most likely not, relays are not affected by cold, but the fuel pump is,Tim

Tim Mohr, ASE MASTER TECH