Toyota

Have Toyota Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

I am a mechanic and my question is a 2014 hilus 3.0 D4D

Customer Question
Hello. i am a...

Hello. i am a mechanic and my question is a 2014 hilus 3.0 D4D diesel engine, first issue is cold hard start after attempting 4 times to crank but idles at very low RPM, second issue is when engine runs and try to accellerate no power and RPM rises very slow and tops out at 4,800 RPM. Anything you can help me with?

Mechanic's Assistant: Is the power loss consistent, or does it fluctuate?

Yes its consistant

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model of your '14 Toyota?

2014 toyota hilux 3.0 D4D turbo diesel

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Turbo yourself? What have you tried so far?

The turbo has been replaced and its still doing the same issue

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

The bad turbo and alot of gunk built up causing the turbo to go bad and causing built up in the intercooler as well and the other issue is the cold hard start

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Toyota
Answered in 3 days by:
1/21/2018
Toyota Mechanic: Chris (aka-Moose), Auto Technician replied 4 months ago
Chris (aka-Moose), Auto Technician

Welcome, I'm Chris (aka-Moose).

• I am attempting to get to and assist every single long waiting customer we have. I am willing to try and assist you. Do you still need help? Is there any more information you can provide which would assist me?
Hello. Well I am having issues with cold hard start in the morning and the second is when engine is warmed up, engine runs but no power while accelerating and rpm climbs very slow
I have replaced the turbo and still no results. i have checked the egr valve and it opens fully and closes completely. I have checked the throttle body and it functions properly. I have changed the mass air flow and iat sensor and still the same results but on the scanner i am only getting 22 reading and wont raise, it just stays stuck at 22

Is the cold start issue when the engine is cold or also when it is very cold outside?

Any warning lights or codes stored?

Why are you wanting the rpms to go above 4800?

when the engine cold and it cold outside. the rpm redlines at 4800 so i know it tops out at 4800
thats the thing, there is no dtc's stored at all
the glow plugs are working fine and i have checked the fuel pressure and its good also
the map sensor just stays at 22 kpa and does not move even while accelerating as well

When it has lower power is there an exhaust smoke concern or misfire felt?

How does it run with the MAP unplugged?

No white smoke and no misfire.
i havent tried unplugging the MAP sensor yet
i did replace the MAp sensor with a new one but still the same results

Try the MAP unplugged for me when you can.

Are the rpms slow to rise in drive 1st gear and in reverse, how about in park?

Does the vehicle roll in neutral when pushed?

will do.
while driving the rpm does not rise above 2000. while parked stepping on the accelerator pedal all the way to the floor, the rpm rises very slow.
but its weird, the engine runs fine when it wants too. the other day it started off running poor then shortly after that it ran strong like nothing, then after the road test, i turned it off for 30 minutes and again it was back to the same issue im having again.

Your fuel pressure test was that done while idling or driving with this issue occurring?

fuel pressure is good

Best I can tell this is going to be related to the injectors or the computer for the vehicle. Not being there to diagnose in person that is all I can come up with on this intermittent issue. If you would like to try another tech I would understand.

Now that I have posted a partial or complete answer, you will see you can rate me. The deposit you have already paid is not transferred to me until you rate me. I would like to receive nothing less than 5-star excellent ratings. So if we are not there yet, please reply and let me help more. If you're not pleased, let me know because rating bad does not result in a refund, there are better options. Rating now will not close this post nor prevent replying. Thanks Chris

you think even with the fuel pressure being good, it still might be the fuel injector?
my next check was the computer.

Yes, I do feel like the injectors could to be blame in this case.

okay
i just tried to start the vehicle and now it took 15 attempts to start, but every attempts the engine starts and idles at 500 rpm and starts knocking then dies.
okay with the engine running now, i unplugged the MAP sensor and nothing happens. the RPM is idling at 800 with the engine running.

Did you try driving it with the MAP unplugged?

no i didnt try that yet

Give that a shot, but beyond that, my previous answer is the best I got, sorry.

okay, the sensor that is mounted on the inter cooler from the turbo, is that the MAP SENSOR OR IAT? or the sensor on the air filter? im just confused.

Sorry, I do not have diagrams for this model. I will opt out. Best of luck

Chris (aka-Moose), Auto Technician