Toyota

Have Toyota Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

How do you reset the SRS indicator on a Rav4 2017. My wife…

Customer Question
How do you reset...

How do you reset the SRS indicator on a Rav4 2017

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your RAV4 yourself? What have you tried so far?

My wife is driving home now she is about an hour from home

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Toyota
1/17/2018
Toyota Mechanic: Toyota Service, Toyota Expert replied 7 months ago
Toyota Service
Toyota Service, Toyota Expert

Hello. Welcome to Just Answer. Please allow me to assist you. Please advise if the red Air Bag light is on at the instrument panel. Thanks!

Was the vehicle in any kind of light collision, hit a pothole, curb or something like that?

Wife just shit off engine and restarted and light went off

With no light impacts, the issue is most likely that the passenger detection calibration has been lost. This is, unfortunately, a VERY common malady with these vehicles. It will be ok one moment, and the light will be on the very next start. More unfortunate than that, the system cannot be reset without benefit of a compatible scan tool. The light comes on to alert you that there is an issue with the sensors in the SRS system. The air-bags will NOT deploy randomly because the light is on. The good news is the detection calibration is a reasonably inexpensive repair.