Toyota

Have Toyota Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Toyota

What would cause a 2015 Toyota Tundra FFV engine to shut of…

Customer Question
Hello, What would cause a...
Hello, What would cause a 2015 Toyota Tundra FFV engine to shut of @ exactly 15mph...regardless of throttle position. Truck starts right back up, no codes, and no lights. Yet is in able to travel any faster. Also, truck only has 15,000 miles on it. Figure it has to be a failsafe to protect from something...but what? Thank you
Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Toyota
1/16/2018
Toyota Mechanic: Ted Ritter, Toyota Master Tech replied 1 month ago
Ted Ritter
Ted Ritter, Toyota Master Tech

Hello, thanks for posting

Has the ETCS fuse been checked, it's in the fuse box under the hood, try a new fuse in it's place and see if that helps.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Fuse was fine, swapped in a new one, no change. Shuts off at 15mph.

It sounds like it's going into fail safe mode but with no codes in the computer it's almost impossible to know why, I'll have to opt out, can't help with no code information at all.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I understand, thank you for your time.

Maybe another tech here has had this happen and has a suggestion for you to try,

Toyota Mechanic: Peter Bagley, Auto Service Technician replied 1 month ago
Peter Bagley
Peter Bagley, Auto Service Technician

Hello and welcome to just answer, my name is ***** ***** master tech of over 40 years experience here to help. I cannot see or hear your vehicle so I rely on your patience and input to my questions so I can help you better.I have read your notes and have a question before we proceed.

what are you using to read codes with as not all can pull all the vehicle codes as some will be in different ECM'S Is your code reader capable of pulling body and SRS codes?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Hello, and thank you for your suggestion. No it does not.

For your issue you will need a code reader that is capable of reading these other codes so we can proceed, please also remember that once you get these codes it does not suggest to start replacing parts necessarily but gives us an area to start looking. Auto Zone does this for free .Can you do that and get back to me?

Peter Bagley
Peter Bagley
Peter Bagley, Auto Service Technician