Toyota

Have Toyota Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

I have a 1988 Toyota Camry 3S-FE. I cannot get any heat form…

I have a 1988...

I have a 1988 Toyota Camry 3S-FE. I cannot get any heat form the cars interior heater. This problem (no heat) has existed for years, bought used for daughter to drive. Recently, I tried to solve this problem. History. daughter overheated the car and a new radiator was put in. Leaking very little water from the head gasket. The mechanic thought it would be ok until it starts leaking more. Lately I installed; New thermostat new water pump. It seems to me like there is no water pressure to the heater core. Two pipes run from the water pump, one is the heater core return and the other returns from the end of the manifold to the water pump. The supply to the heater core comes of the end of the manifold (at I think I have these hoses correct) as well as the hose that goes to the top of the radiator. With a garden hose the heater core water seem to flow well. touching the hoses to and from the heater core the seem to be just warm with the engine at operating temperature. The heat control valve functions correctly. Thank you for any advise or solutions you may offer. Wayne

Mechanic's Assistant: What part of the car is the leak coming from? And are you sure it's water?

Looks like head gasket at # 3 cylinder. But no heat problem existed before daughter over heated the car.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Camry yourself? What have you tried so far?

Flushed heater core, new water pump, new thermostat, took of pipes from water pump to heater line and the one that returns from the manifold.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

No, I'm at a loss of what to do.

1/17/2018
Toyota Service
Toyota Service, Toyota Expert

Hello. Welcome to Just Answer. Please allow me to assist you. Can you tell me where the temperature gauge is reading when the engine has been driven for about 10 miles?

Now, the temperature gauge will red line for a couple minutes or less as the engine warms up (probably less than 10 minutes) then drop real fast to the middle of the gauge and stay there for the entire 128 mile trip or just around town.

Redlining is not good. This is telling me that the head gasket is allowing combustion into the cooling system. This prevents the coolant from circulating. Most likely, the head is flexing just a bit when it gets hot to seal the leak. If you are seeing seepage from the head gasket externally, the head gasket needs to be replaced. The no heat issue could very well be that the interior of the heater core has internally detached form the shell of the core. This allows hot coolant to flow into the core and right back out, bypassing the tubes that the coolant must travel as the fan blows thru the center of the core. My recommendation: Replace the head gasket and the heater core.

Now, the temperature gauge will red line for a couple minutes or less as the engine warms up (probably less than 10 minutes) then drop real fast to the middle of the gauge and stay there for the entire 128 mile trip or just around town.My daughter has been driving this car for a couple years before the radiator failed or what ever happened (I was not present) the car would not heat up inside. Also I cannot feel hot water in the hoses going to the heater core. The heater core is fed off a manifold on the opposite end as the thermostat. If the water will flow to the top of the radiator why does it not flow to the heater core? Earlier today I put a long hose in place to the hoses that feed and return to the heater core, leaving these hosed unattached from the heater core, started the engine and no water comes out of these hoses when held at the same height as the radiator. At the thermostat which has a second solid washer at the end there are two pipes one returns water from the heater core and one returns water from this manifold. I am not sure but I suspect water should be sucked from the heater core and manifold to circulate and warm up the engine and heater core? My next step is to remove the thermostat and start the engine and I expect water will flow thru these longer hoses as if the heater were being feed hot water from the engine.
I agree with you that the leaky head gasket may be causing the high temperature reading, but the heater core was not getting circulating hot water before the leaking head gasket (caused from overheating the engine).
I will let you know if water flows without the thermostat.

It is possible that the water pump is incorrect. IE the pump impeller is incorrect, and causing the coolant to be incorrectly circulated. Incorrect impellers (the unit that pushes the water) is common on parts store water pumps. If you remove the thermostat and no coolant is observed to be moving, I would be pulling the water pump off and replacing it with the correct one. Examine a genuine Toyota pump to determine which way the impeller is facing. An incorrect impeller will also cause an initial overheat on startup (because the coolant is not circulating properly. As the car moves, air passing thru the radiator will cool the engine enough to make up for the loss of proper coolant circulation.

I had replaced the water pump with a AISIN brand pump that looked just like the Toyota pump.

Please advise on the volume of coolant that flows from the heater hose. Thanks

Sorry I’m so late.1-30-2018
Water flow without thermostat was good, not great pressure but volume was good. I’m a little frustrated that there is not an obvious quick answer to my problem. So, I removed the old heater core (took a day just to do that. The Chilton manual and the internet have nothing on this process). Ordered an aftermarket heater core from O’Reilly Auto Parts. The fragile inlet and outlet tubes would not fit into this new core. So, returned it. Soaked the theater core with RedDevil radiator flush then took the original core to a radiator repair shop. The technician said the core was not plugged much and should produce heat, even if not the maximum amount. (Before removing the core water would flow thru both ways when I attached a garden hose to it. But maybe the high pressure from the garden hose fooled me, I do not know). Anyways there is heat now, and I am happy and thank you for allowing me to vent my frustrations. And I appreciate your help and am glad to pay the $15-dollar fee. Again, sorry I took so long. And thank you.

You are very welcome!

Thanks for choosing Just Answer. It was a pleasure to assist you. I trust my input is satisfactory and meets your expectations. A positive rating for my assistance on your request would be greatly appreciated; thanks again and have a great day

No golden answer but I was motivated to do something. And the end result is there is now heat. Thank you for your assistance.

Please remember to use the rating screen on your exit page. Thanks!

Toyota Service
Toyota Service, Toyota Expert
Thank you for your assistance.
Toyota Service
Toyota Service
Toyota Service, Toyota Expert