Toyota

Have Toyota Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Hot/cold air will only come out of the panel vents, no floor…

Hot/cold air will...

Hot/cold air will only come out of the panel vents, no floor or defrost

Mechanic's Assistant: Do the vents feel cold? Is there a coolant leak?

No

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Toyota?

2010 Venza

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Venza yourself? What have you tried so far?

I've tried disconnecting the battery for 10 seconds to see if the system resets, beyond that nothing

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

I recently had the battery replaced, just before I noticed this problem

1/16/2018
Toyota Service
Toyota Service, Toyota Expert

Hello. Welcome to Just Answer. Please allow me to assist you. This sounds to me like you have a faulty air blend servo-motor on the heater box. Disconnecting the battery will not rectify this. There is no reset to the servo motors. You could try cycling the mode control whilst tapping on the servo motors that are attached to the sides of the heater box. The servo might be stuck, but, it is probably going to need to be replaced.

If you have any questions, please reply. Please do take a moment to confirm you have received my input on your request. Thanks!

Thanks. I'll try tapping and cycling as noted. If it needs to be replaced, what would I expect to pay a mechanic for parts and labor?
could this problem have been caused by replacing the battery? Perhaps the shop that did that for me didn't do it correctly?

Depends on which servo needs replaced. They run roughly between 142 to 172 for the parts, with about an hour's worth of labor times the shop labor rate. In our shop the cost would be 292 + tax

The battery did not cause this.

Toyota Service
Toyota Service, Toyota Expert
Okay thanks for your help. I'd like to attempt the repair myself. My 2010 Venza has dual zone climate control, so I suspect there are several servo's in there. Since the air outlet doesn't change I'm thinking it's the air outlet control servo. Can you provide the rough location of this motor and the part number I need to order?