Toyota

Have Toyota Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Toyota

I've recently bought a 1999 Toyota Camry and noticed the…

Customer Question
I've recently bought a...

I've recently bought a 1999 Toyota Camry and noticed the radio would not turn on. I asked the owner what happened and he said he touched a ground and power wire which blew a fuse when installing a new radio. I replaced the radio fuse but it still hasn't turned on. Are you guys able to fix this problem in order for a new radio to be installed?

Mechanic's Assistant: Most vehicles have two fuse panels. Have you located both?

Yes I have one under dash and other under the hood.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Camry yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes I am fixing it myself I replaced both number 1 and 2 fuses and replaced 2 other blown number 15 fuses.

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Toyota
1/15/2018
Toyota Mechanic: Kavey, Shop Owner replied 1 month ago
Kavey
Kavey, Shop Owner

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I will be helping you today.

We arent able to fix your car. What we do here is help you to fix it yourself. Are you wanting to do that? If so do you have a volt meter to do some testing?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I do want to fix it myself and yes I do have a volt meter.

And is the radio in it now factory or an aftermarket?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Its in factory radio.

Check the blue with yellow stripe wire at the head unit for battery voltage. Let me know what you get.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I have a multi meter will this work? If yes what do i set it too?

Yes set it to volts dc touch the black to a good ground... a bare bolt or something and probe the blue/yellow wire with your red lead.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I will be installing a aftermarket radio is this gonna make a difference? should i be testing on the aftermarket since im trying to install it?

Nope. Get your issue figured out first then install the new one. No point compounding the issue by adding variables.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
This does not sound right Ive got - 00.2 I touched my black lead to the black ground wire and my red lead with my yellow and blue antenna wire.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Power antenna.

Why do you think its the power antenna wire? Are you checking at the factory harness or a aftermarket harness?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Its blue wire with silver strip is that what im supossed to probe with yellow and connect to red lead. I have the factory harness for the factory radio and a aftermarket harness for my new radio.

It should be blue with a yellow tracer and that is where you connect your red lead. Your black lead just goes to a good ground.. if you are unsure try touching it to the metal sleeve around the antenna wire where it plugs into the radio that should be a good ground... or the outer rim of the cigarette lighter.

Chris (aka-Moose), Auto Technician