Toyota

Have Toyota Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

My 04 Corolla is not starting. Changed the battery and

My 04 Corolla is...

My 04 Corolla is not starting. Changed the battery and starter but they have not fixed the problem. With doors open I see the door open light on the dash. Rear view mirror light bulbs are on and flickering. Dome light will not turn on.

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the fuses? The dashboard bulbs?

I checked the fuses underneath the dash (super hard to get to) and they all seem fine.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Corolla yourself? What have you tried so far?

The only dash bulb the comes on is the “door open” icon. None else. I am the only one, and I have changed the battery, changed the starter, checked the fuses under the dash and in the engine bay as well

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Intermittently, when I press on the hazard lights, there is a rapid clock that I can hear coming from the dash. The actual hazards do not turn on. Also, when applying the brakes, there are no lights

Answered in 1 minute by:
1/13/2018
Mechanic01
Mechanic01, ASE Certified Technician

Hello my name is ***** ***** welcome to just answers! I will be assisting you with all of your vehicle questions today. Give me one moment while I review your question and come back with a answer. Please be aware I do not know your skill level or abilities so I will be asking a lot of questions and in a lot of cases we will respond to each other quite a lot before we find a solution. As far as phone calls are concerned that is the system prompting you, not me, and they do cost more money, I prefer text but in some cases a phone call is required. If I don’t answer right away or quickly in conversation I am helping another customer or have stepped out for a moment and will respond as soon as I can. Ok lets get started!

It almost sounds like you have some main fuses out, if you have a multiemter or test light I would check each one underhood

I am checking by setting multimeter at 200 ohms and seeing if the reading is close to zero.

your checking at dcv 20 and looking for voltage

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1AMgLOHeHGE

key in on position

Am I measuring for voltage or current

voltage like in the video

I need to replace my multimeter battery. It is giving me a bad reading
Tested fuses with car in on position. None of them were giving any reading. Started thinking something was wrong with the multimeter, but checked it on my truck and it worked fine

so there is a main fuse blown somewhere

Would that still let me see the “open door” icon in the dashboard with the doors open. Also, intermittently the rear view mirror lights will turn on

depending on what fuse is blown but yes

What main fuses can I check?

anything thats 30 amp and up

all underhood

How do I check those

visually and with the meter again, you can pop off the little windows and check power

Do I check with the multimeter with car on or off? Who do I Check those

key on and you can pop the little windows off to check the voltage, the bigger ones should be visually blown though but its good to verify power

hows it going?

Please let me know if you have any more questions.
Customer satisfaction is my number one goal. I would like to receive nothing less than a 5 star rating. If you feel we aren’t there yet please let me know or respond more so we can get the answer you feel is correct. You can do this rating at the box on the upper right hand corner. This will not close our chat session and at no extra charge we will still be able to talk about any other issues you may have for free! Providing a rating is the only way I will receive credit for my work with you. Negative ratings do not result in a refund so If you’re not satisfied with the work we have done so far please respond more and let’s get your question figured out. Thanks Shawn!

Ok. I’m back. I need to find out how to get to the source of this issue. So far, I was able to check voltage of the fuses while the key was turned to the on position. No readings. I need to check the higher amp fuses, but don’t know how to check those. Any suggestions?

can you send a picture of the main under hood fuse panel and ill show you how to check what you need to check

I sent the picture. Can you let me know if you received it

ok with key on measure voltage on each side of the terminal and let me know what you get

On each side of the terminal of each of the three fuses?

ok before we get to that what were the voltages at the main 3 fuses?

I got a read out of 3 on everything for the three fuses in the picture you sent me.

so there is a voltage drop somewhere from the battery to the panel, we need to check all main cables and follow each one unitl you find the voltage drop issue,

Should the readout be 12 all the way through? Also, what about the ticking relay?

it should be and the ticking relay is from the low voltage issue that were having right now

I am not sure how to check voltage on the cables from the battery to the panel. They at coated, so would i have to cut through the plastic?

you should be able to check at each termination point, say start at battery make sure you have good voltage there then check your ground cable then the positive and so on

Here are some pictures of my checking so far. No reading on the ground. Am I doing that wrong? I think something is happening from the positive cable connection to the wires
E9DDBFE8-3FFA-4B77-B5B1...jpegE9DDBF...jpegE62F4DE9-F70C-4852-91A1...jpegE62F4D...jpeg12BC6B6E-0B1D-4F03-BD79...jpeg12BC6B...jpeg20B121B3-07FC-40B9-8C2F...jpeg20B121...jpeg6808FD29-42EA-4559-9CD5...jpeg6808FD...jpeg

I see your problem is your main battery connections they need to be replaced and your positive cable is corroded bad it also needs to be repaired or replaced

My next step will be to replace the battery cables. I will keep you posted later today.

yes that and the terminals need replacement, you can get very nice cables made at your local battery store with soldered on or crimped on batter terminal ends with heat shrink and protectant spray

I replaced the positive connectors and trimmed the cable ends. Plugged everything back to the battery, started it up and it runs!!! It’s a temporary solution as the cables still need to be replaced, but now it is running. One thing though, is that the temp gauge is not working. How can i check that?

that will have to be opened up on a different question, I can only answer one question per request.

Im glad its working again though, please dont forget to rate my services

Mechanic01
Mechanic01, ASE Certified Technician
Thank you for your help! Rating top notch on the way!

your very welcome and thanks for the 5 star!