Toyota

Have Toyota Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

I have a 2004 Toyota Avalon I assumed was a bad battery car…

Hello I have a 2004...
Hello I have a 2004 Toyota Avalon I assumed was a bad battery car would not start until I jumped it and then started fine when I went to leave for work it would not start my jump box was dead so I used another set of cables with a work truck and Dummy me hope jumper cables backwards at night I blew the 120 amp alternator fuse as well as a couple other fuses in the car but I'm still missing power on quite a few fuses and in car as well as the back half of the fuse panel toward the firewall under car I have no fuel pump prime or pressure.
1/13/2018
Toyota Service
Toyota Service, Toyota Expert

Hello. Welcome to Just Answer. Please allow me to assist you. Did you replace the 120 amp ALT fuse?

I change the 120 amp fuse I have power at all four lugs wear that bolts as well as the fusible link.

Did you check the fuses in the panel under the dashboard on the driver side?

I would considered if I was at the car I have to do it during work hours because after work the gate is locked and I don't have access to the car however I am working tomorrow 7 to12 Eastern Time but I would have to go out during work hours I work in automotive I knowthe starters working I just do not hear the fuel pump prime come on when I turn the key
There is quite a few fuses under the dash that are not blown but not getting power it seems like every other one starting from the top left

Look above the fuse panel for some smaller versions of the 120 amp ALT fuse. These power the fuse panel under the dash. These pull out easy (not bolted in).

I did see two smaller fuses at the bottom I did check on them but I did not realize they had separate legs I have a Power Probe 2 that I'm not 100% familiar with yet LOL but I'm going to get batteries for my dead multi meter that I have with me for tomorrow as well.

You need to pull the cartridge fuses at the top of the panel and visually inspect them. If they are good you have another fuse under the hood that is bad. A meter will tell you if you have power in the cartridge fuse sockets. These are identical to the 120 amp fuse in appearance, but a bit smaller.

It's like the power stops at that fuse panel under the hood right after that 4 bolt lug I was referring to where the alternator fuse bolted in

The ALT fuse powers the 40 amp cartridge fuse in the panel under the dash. This is what you need to look at.

Awesome I appreciate your help I will look at that in the morning originally I was only visually inspecting the fuses but I have to go back and make sure I was getting power. Have a good night

You are very welcome! Thanks for choosing Just Answer. It was a pleasure to assist you. I trust my input is satisfactory and meets your expectations. A positive rating for my assistance on your request would be greatly appreciated; thanks again and have a great day

Is it okay to follow up with you in the morning if I still have troubles i don't expect a fast response.

Absolutely!

I have not responded back with you yet because I have not had time to work on their car as it is in the lot at work locked up and I'm not going to go to get back there till Monday I am not trying to hold your pay back however I would like to find out what my problem is. This is the reason I paid for the service, I definitely appreciate and value your time as well. My impression is once I pay the ticket is closed and I have to start over a new ticket. When I opened the ticket I did not expedite the order because I knew it was going to take me a few days. Thank you again
No worries. We can resume this when you are ready.
Toyota Service
Toyota Service, Toyota Expert
I just want to get back with you I had some time today at work I was in the process of testing the relays when a co-worker came out pulled out to EFI and swap the horn relay and told me to crank the car. At first it sounded the same but it did hiccup a little at the end so I tried to crank it again and it finally started yes. In total I ended up changing 4 fuses as well as the fusible link which is probably still good I am going to test it though. Thank you for your help and experience as a first-time experience I would definitely consider again as well I have already recommend.
Also just a heads up I gave you A 5 star review as you deserve you were awesome and I also posted for the site as well definitely impressed! Have a great night Next time it will not be on the same conditions LOL

Thanks for the reply. Glad you are making progress. Thanks for choosing Just Answer. Please feel free to request me if you ever need assistance in the future!