Toyota

Have Toyota Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

I have a '94 4runner 5spd with a 3.0 that I just did

HI, I have a...

HI, I have a '94 4runner 5spd with a 3.0 that I just did headgaskets on and got running. Compression seems good on all cylinders. Idles good and steady. When I rev it up it only goes up to 2k rpms and the like pops and stutters between 1500 and 200 rpms if I hold down the pedal. No power to actually drive more than 5-10 mph's.

Mechanic's Assistant: Is the power loss consistent, or does it fluctuate?

Consistent

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your 4Runner yourself? What have you tried so far?

I am doing the work myself. I own a repair shop, just can't figure this one out, firts 4runner ive ever touched, lol. I've checked compression, all cylinders are right at 126psi. tried a new tps. I think thats it.

1/12/2018
Ted Ritter
Ted Ritter, Toyota Master Tech

H​ello, thanks for posting on this site

The compression is a little low, should be about 160 PSI. I t sounds to me like the timing may be off, either the timing belt marks or the distributor is not in correctly, please verify both and then we can go from there.

If you have already done that please let me know what else you have tried to fix this.

if the timing was off wouldn't if run rough at idle?

T​hat could be true, does it seem to rev up normally when in neutral?

it acts the same in neutral as well.

What have you checked so far? I don't want to recommend something that you have already done.

when I removed the distibutor I forgot to mark it. I put the engine in TDC and then slipped the distributor in and it fell into place with the rotor at #1
ive tried a new tps and checked compression.thats pretty much it

Thanks, ***** ***** checked the timing with a light?

I have not. I will check something and be back.

Ok.

Okay, so I removed all the timing components and reset timing and still got the same outcome. After messing around with things for a bit, I finally removed the tow as I had before and put it back in with the metal tabs on the TB on the other sides of the tabs on the tps and everything seems back to normal except that I still don’t have much power and it kind of jerks while on the accelerator while driving, so I think I may just need to adjust the tps now that it’s on correctly.
Does that sound correct?

P​ossibly yes, I assume that the timing marks on the cams and the crank are aligned at TDC, the timing should be set at about 8 degrees BTDC with a jumper wire between terminals TE1 and E1 in the diagnostic connector under the hood, adjust the TPS until you get it to where the timing is at 8 degrees.

Would you be able to send me instructions to adjust the tps? I don’t actually understand how to complete that procedure. Thank you!
Timing marks on cams and crank are at tdc.

I​ will see if I can upload something for you soon.

Thank You!

Click on this link, hope this helps.

Ted Ritter
Ted Ritter, Toyota Master Tech