Toyota

Have Toyota Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Toyota

Ms., I have a 2001 Toyota Camry that let's out a burning…

Customer Question
Second opinion] Hello Ms...

Second opinion] Hello Ms. Wilson,

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Toyota?

I have a 2001 Toyota Camry that let's out a burning odor whenever I turn on the defroster and/or the heat. I noticed smoke coming from the right side, but when I opened the hood, I could see nothing. Sometimes the smoke is on the left side. Had a coolant system installed 1 1/2 years ago.

Mechanic's Assistant: How many miles on the car? How has your mileage been lately?

154,000. The car runs good, wouldn't trade it for the world. Also, recently the brake light has come on, it only goes off after I have driven approx. 15 to 20 miles. I the brakes checked, no problem.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Camry yourself? What have you tried so far?

No, I'm a female widowed senior citizen and usually take it to a mechanic for servicing.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Yes, the key thing, can't remember how it's identified, but I replaced the battery because it stopped working. After I left the shop it worked that evening and the next day. Now it doesn't work at all. I have to use the key to open my door.

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Toyota
1/12/2018
Toyota Mechanic: sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician replied 1 month ago
sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer! I apologize for the extended wait time you experienced, I've only just come online now and would like to assist you with your question.

What you're smelling with the heat on is most likely related to the smoke you saw under the hood. The smoek is most likely getting pulled into the heater box's fresh air intake and entering the vehicle.

You could be seeing steam from a coolant leak but that would smell somewhat sweet. If it's more of a smoke smell then it's more likely to be from an oil leak, or possibly an exhaust leak.

The red brake warning lamp is either coming on due to the emergency brake switch circuit grounding, the brake fluid is low, or the brake fluid level switch may be bad. If the fluid level is ok then it will require some testing at the time the light is on to determine exactly what is wrong.

My goal is to give you the best experience possible! I hope I have earned a 5 star rating! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen before you leave today. If you need more assistance, please use the reply box and let me know.

sprinkles08
sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician