Toyota

Have Toyota Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

I have an older vehivle (1997). It suddenly will not turn…

Customer Question
I have an older...

I have an older vehivle (1997). It suddenly will not turn on. The battery is brand new and it has nothing to do with the alternator. If I get the steering wheel to lock it turns on. However, now the brakes are hard to compress and the shifter will lock than unlock. I cannot get the truck to start. All electric works in the vehicle.

Mechanic's Assistant: Do you have power steering? Have you checked the power steering fluid?

No- I actually do not know if I do but that would be a fantastic simple answer!

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model of your '97 Toyota?

I am not going to lie- it is at work with all my paperwork. what options do I have?

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?

I have recently changed the ignition which made everything work perfect. New battery. It just started this issue and I cannot get the steering wheel to lock and the brakes to lock as well not allowing it to start. I never thought of steering fluid. Is this easy to fill?

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Everything electric works, lights, windows etc.

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Toyota
1/9/2018
Toyota Mechanic: 6Bucs, ASE Certified Technician replied 6 months ago
6Bucs
6Bucs, ASE Certified Technician
Hello and welcome to just answer. My name is***** the shifter going into park completely?
What model Toyota is this? Car or truck?