Toyota

Have Toyota Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

My 2005 Prius will be parked for 2 months. Do I need to do…

Customer Question
My 2005 Prius will...

My 2005 Prius will be parked for 2 months. Do I need to do anything special to keep the batteries charged up...

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you tested the battery with a voltmeter? And can you see if it's leaking or not?

No, we have not tested the battery, the big battery was changed out in 2015. Was just serviced at 200,000 miles and no mention of leaking.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Special yourself? What have you tried so far?

The car is always service by Toyota dealership. We are just concerned about it draining the battery if it isn’t driven for 2 months. We’ve been told to use a trickle charger or a a battery tender but want to know if we have the house sitter start it up every week, would that keep it from draining the batteries. Couldn’t get a real clear answer from Toyota mechanic.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

I don’t believe so

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Toyota
Answered in 1 minute by:
1/8/2018
Toyota Mechanic: john, The Car Guy replied 6 months ago
john
john, The Car Guy

just have the house sitter start it up and run it 20 minutes or so a week or have the sitter run a few errands with it weekly you will be fine

My goal is to give you the best experience possible! I hope I have earned a 5 star rating! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen before you leave today. If you need more assistance, please use the reply box and let me know.