Toyota

Have Toyota Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Toyota

I want to disable my daytime running lights on my 2002

Customer Question
I want to disable...

I want to disable my daytime running lights on my 2002 Avalon. I am fairly certain it is the smaller connector on the body ECU, but which wire/pin needs to be cut and grounded? There are no markings...l

Mechanic's Assistant: Just to clarify, what are the exact lights you're talking about?

DRL's. Daytime Running lights, which is low voltage to my expensive high beam bulbs.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Avalon yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes, myself. This is not a try and fail effort. The body ecu signal has to be defeated.

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Toyota
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
At one point, I came across a Toyota Technical Service Bulletin on this very subject, and it even had basic illustrations of the body ECU and a procedure to cut and cap one wire on the harness end, and the pin to which this wire led in the connector was spliced to a length of wire of your own, which you crimped a ring terminal on the other end and attached it to a particular body grounding bolt nearby. The illustration was for a 2000 Avalon, but I understand that 2000-2004 are the same generation vehicle.
Answered in 1 day by:
1/9/2018
Toyota Mechanic: fordtech25, ASE Certified Technician replied 1 month ago
fordtech25
fordtech25, ASE Certified Technician

Hi I would like to help you out. You are correct that Toyota did issue a TSB to disable the DRL feature on this vehicle for a 2000 model year. 2000-2004 are of the same generation. I checked the wiring diagram for both 2000 and 2002 to verify that they are the same. I've attached a copy of both the 2000 and 2002 wiring diagrams below. I've also attached an image of the connector you are looking for and a link to the Toyota TSB with the instructions on how to disable them. The wire you are looking for is Red with a blue strip, part of connector B5, pin 6. Where as I see no changes in the DRL system between 2000 and 2002 you should be able to complete your repair per the instructions from Toyota.

Click Here for TSB link with step by step instructions

Please reply if you need further assistance.

Thanks

e5d2a55d-0567-4144-a7f2-...PNGe5d2a55...PNG5ea42241-b0d8-4830-8a0c-...PNG5ea4224...PNGa2c012f7-d196-46f5-b86f-...PNGa2c012f...PNG838ff717-7201-41da-a6a9-...PNG838ff71...PNG602b488b-86da-4360-9785-...PNG602b488...PNG

Hi I just wanted to check in and see how you made out with your lights. Have you had time to disable them?

fordtech25
fordtech25
fordtech25, ASE Certified Technician