Toyota

Have Toyota Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

I was attempting to after market remote starter on 2016 RAV4…

Customer Question
I was attempting to...

I was attempting to after market remote starter on 2016 RAV4 Hybrid. Now vehicle does start with or without the remote. I have pulled all the plugs back off from the remote start and still will not start

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the battery, particularly the terminal connections? Are they corroded?

Yes, battery is fine

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your RAV4 Hybrid yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes.

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Toyota
1/8/2018
Toyota Mechanic: Lou P, ASE Certified Technician replied 4 months ago
Lou P
Lou P, ASE Certified Technician

Hello, my name is***** and i will do my best to assist you.I am going over your story now and will reply back soon with some info,thanks!

I have not experienced this myself but I feel i may be able to help you, if Not i will surely open the question back up for others to assist, so let me start by asking, does the engine crank ?

does anything register when trying to crank?

It is a hybrid so it doesn’t crank. I put foot on brake and press push button start. Key is detected, but never goes into ready mode

oh ok so full hybrid, not half gas half electric motor.

a lot of the times i deal with issues similar, a pin got bent on the connections or a fuse blew from voltage spikes from disconnecting and reconnecting. have you rechecked the connections?

I did send that over as an answer but it does not mean we are done so of course continue if need be.

It is hybrid, so gas and electric.Usually starts in electric and stars engine when needed. In this case it never goes into ready mode.

ok, I will go ahead and reopen this, sorry sir, i wanted to help but i also dont want to waste your time with my questions, have a good night, someone will come along, not sure how long but you will get a notification when someone picks this up

best of luck

Lou

I have checked connections, and they seem fine. What fuses would cause these symptoms

let me take a quick look before I go

I only see the hybrid in the 4wd setup is this correct?

ok so tell me about this kit while i look up the system,

is it one of those plug and play deals?

what exactly did you unplug and reconnect?

plug and play. I unplugged connector in steering column and odbc plug.

ok , is there a way you can send me a picture of the plug so i know i am looking at the correct one in the diagram?

ok so you enter the car and press the brake and the ignition and the dash should light up and then the green ready symbol lights up correct?

does the dash and everything come to life?

also if you push the ignition switch without pressing the brake you should be able to cycle through the acc and then ignition on functions, does this work?

Everything comes to life but do not get ready light

ok, gotcha, thanks, ***** ***** parameters for ready light

appreciate you giving me the chance to help.

ok so you disconnected one of those white plugs?

also can you shift the car out of park and into neutral?

I can move into neutral

ok, move it into neutral and then without pressing the brake press the ignition see it it works.

When I press brake the check engine, steering!, EV, and info lights come one but not ready light

ok ok.

It says shift into P before starting

did you disconnect the 12 volt battery at all?

No

ok, so , get in the car , press the brake and hold it for lets say up to 30 seconds. see if the ready comes on.

if not then press the ignition same time as the brake like you normally would but after pressing the ignition just keep holding the brake pedal for 30 seconds.

I pressed the brake at the same time as holding start button. No ready light
When I release pedal, it says power on, but no ready light

no, dont hold the start button, just the brake and keep holding the brake.

maybe we should give it up to a minute.

While pressing brake pedal it does show that key is detected
I am still holding brake pedal

ok so it shows the key with radio waves on the screen?

Been 2 minutes holding brake

ok we can stop, lol get out of the car, lock and unlock it and then get back in and retry like normal.

Does the same thing

ok, that is all I have , sorry, i will have to opt out.

Lou

Thank you
Thank you. I do appreciate it
Toyota Mechanic: nelson freitas,
 replied 4 months ago
nelson freitas

Hello, and thanks for using JustAnswer, my name is ***** ***** I have been an Automotive Technician for over 15 years, and currently working at a Toyota Dealership.

Are you able to use the remote starter to get the ready light to turn on? Also have you tried to remove the remote starter to see if the car will go into "ready" mode?

No, and at this point I have removed everything with the remote start and still have same issue
I had it working with both the remote start and normally before I started securing all the wires... to prevent rattles
Then once I had everything secure, it wouldn’t start
Do you think the AM1 fuse would cause this?
Toyota Mechanic: nelson freitas,
 replied 4 months ago
Did this fuse blow?
I have not checked it yet
I wasn’t going to check all the fuses unless one would coule this issue
I just checked it and it is fine
Any thoughts
Toyota Mechanic: nelson freitas,
 replied 4 months ago

I feel like you may have pulled a pin out of a connector while you were securing all of the wires, I would suggest double checking the wires and connectors that you used to check if any on the pins might be loose

nelson freitas
nelson freitas
nelson freitas