Toyota

Have Toyota Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Toyota

2003 camry turns over wont start, Replaced fuel pump, fuel…

2003 camry turns over...

2003 camry turns over wont start, Replaced fuel pump, fuel filter, checked efi relay and fuses, replaced cam sensor and had the ecu rebuilt. when key is turned to on position you can hear a buzzing sound towards the back of the motor

Mechanic's Assistant: Is the car in "Park" or "Neutral?" Do you know if your car has a "wheel lock" feature?

Tried park and neutral

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Camry yourself? What have you tried so far?

Not sure about the wheel lock

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

I don't think so

1/8/2018
Amedee
Amedee, Toyota Technician

Hello and welcome!

My name isCustomerand I can assist you with your question.

Have you checked for spark or fuel while cranking?

Are there any codes in the computer?

Would you be willing to speak on the phone?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Spark is present but I didn't think was strong, I sprayed a little starting fluid in the intake and it wanted to start. No codes. Yes I would I can talk by phone

Sounds good. You can request a phone call on your end and I will call you right away.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Is the phone call going to cost an additional $26 on top of the $20 I am being charged?

Phone calls are extra

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Before having the ecu rebuilt I also ran a jumper wire from the battery to the fuel pump and still no start. Lets skip the phone call if its an additional charge

I can send it over now for as low as $5 bucks.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Any suggestions

I need more info from you to provide suggestions.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
what else do you need to know

Will the engine continue to run on starting fluid?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I only sprayed enough in it to see if it was a fuel or spark issue. It wanted to start so to me it is a fuel issue. I hate to spray anymore starting fluid in it for fear of causing damage

It will be OK to run on starting fluid for 10 seconds.

Let me know

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
it will not run it acts like it wants to start at first but then it doesn't attempt to fire
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I'm spraying the fluid at the butterfly on the throttle body

Ok, then the engine is out of time or flooded.

I would recommend to start by checking the timing belt, engine compression and ignition timing.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
no timing belt it has a timing chain

Ok, then that will need to be checked

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
The motor s not spinning freely like one that has had a broken timing belt

Excellent

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
how do you check the ignition timing...there is no distributor cap to adjust

You can check to see that it fires when each piston is at TDC

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
hypothetically if it is not firing what would my next step be replace all of the coil packs?

If the ignition system is weak, yes, the ignition system needs to be checked and possibly replace the coil packs.

I am glad I can help! Keep in mind this is a "starting point". My goal is to give you the best experience possible! I hope I have earned a 5-star rating! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen before you leave today. If you need more assistance, please use the reply box and let me know.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
any idea as to what to look for as far as the buzzing or humming sound that is coming from around the back of the engine. The sound stops when you pull the efi relay or the efi fuse

Not unless I know what component is making the noise.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I cant pinpoint where it is coming from it does change its pitch when you touch the gas pedal

IAC, throttle body, intake, intake gasket, air or vacuum leak would be my guess.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
just curious...have you ever ran into something like this before that no code was thrown? I would have though some kind of code would have been thrown. The only code I have is for the downstream o2 sensor but I cant imagine that would create the problem I have

Right, I agree. YES, I have seen this before. The outcome or root cause has been many different things because I see this so much.

I am glad I can help!

Please don't forget to honor your good faith deposit by rating my answer as "5 STARS or SMILEY FACES" for assisting you today.

Keep in mind, we can still continue this conversation at no further cost to you even after you rate my answer. Just reply back to me using this page and I will get it and get back to you ASAP!

I just ask that you allow time in between replies as I may be helping other customers or offline spending time with the family.

Also, if you are a member or if you have a subscription to the site, you still need to rate my answer in order for me to get credit for assisting you with your question.

You should see the rating system towards the top of the page.

Please let me know if you have any further questions.

Thanks and have a great night!!

Amedee
Amedee, Toyota Technician
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
CustomerI was out last night playing around with car checking for blown fuses and looking for a possible short somewhere and I hooked the code reader back up and got the following codes P0121, P0122, P0222 and P2135. I cleared the codes and ran another scan this morning and none were present. Could a faulty throttle body position sensor cause a no start? Is there a way I can check the sensor with a meter to verify it is faulty before buying a replacement? There are 6 wires going into the throttle body connection. Thanks

Hello!

Generally speaking in the real world based on my experience, a TPS does not cause a "no start situation". However, I am not saying that it is not possible, If it shorts out or sends an incorrect signal back to the computer, yes it might cause a no start condition.

You can check the TPS signal using a voltmeter with the key on. The signal should range from about .5 volt closed throttle to about 4.5 volts with the throttle plate wide open.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Do you know which wire I need to check for the voltage? Unfortunately the Chilton's manual I have does not have a very good wiring schematic

Can you send me the VIN?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Vin #4T1BE30K03U761326

Thank you. I believe there are two.

Black/red wire

and

Light green wire.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
When I meter both wires back to the battery ground I get .24 on each one. That number doesn't change when the throttle pedal is pushed down

Did the throttle plate open when you did this?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
No
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I had the harness disconnected from the throttle body to get the readings

Ok, then you wont get a reading that way

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
How do you get a reading other than stripping insulation off of the wires

Backpobing the connector while running this test.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I'll give it a try but it's pretty tight

ok

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
In closed position green .86 black red 2.59, in open position green 4.05 black red 5.05. butterfly did open

Ok, if they are moving when the throttle plate is opening, that indicates a good reading.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I got a noid tester today and I have no pulse at any of the injectors. I disconnected the fuel line from the rail and there is pressure there when cranking the motor. Did have a gauge but got around 4oz of fuel by cranking maybe 2 seconds
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Didn't have a gauge

Ok, check to see if there is power going to the injectors with the key on and while cranking.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I did and none present
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I did that with the noid tester.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Just thinking is there a way to meter or check the crankshaft sensor

Just because the noid light did not blink does not mean there is no power to the injectors.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Do you want me to meter each injector

yes

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Do you know what wire to meter. Do I go to ground then one of these or do I go across them
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Going from the black red to ground in on position 12.58 at all of them
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
When cranking it goes to 10.8 at all of them

I think we should speak on the phone

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I just went in and accepted the $5 charge to talk on the phone

Please call me now

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Just left you a $20 bonus....thanks for all your help

I did get it sir, thank you very much!

Amedee
Amedee
Amedee, Toyota Technician